AVI to MPEG software?

This is a discussion on AVI to MPEG software? within the General Discussions forums, part of the Community Boards category; Hi, Does anyone have any good software suggestions for converting AVI files to MPEGs that I can burn on a ...

  1. #1
    and the hat of sweating
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    3,545

    AVI to MPEG software?

    Hi,
    Does anyone have any good software suggestions for converting AVI files to MPEGs that I can burn on a DVD to watch in my DVD player?

    The ones I've found convert them to MPEGs just fine, but they screw up the aspect ratio. If I try to convert a wide screen AVI to an MPEG it squashes it into 4:3.

    Preferably free or very cheap Windows software, but Linux is fine if that's all you know of.
    "I am probably the laziest programmer on the planet, a fact with which anyone who has ever seen my code will agree." - esbo, 11/15/2008

    "the internet is a scary place to be thats why i dont use it much." - billet, 03/17/2010

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    412
    One converter I often use is a freeware one called SUPER
    SUPER &copy

    Can convert to and from lots of different formats, either using built-in codecs or via DirectShow codecs.

    Edit:
    the download link on that website can be a bit tricky to find so here's a quick guide
    On the page I linked, "Start Downloading SUPER " link at the bottom.
    "download and use" link close to the top.
    "Download SUPER setup file" at the bottom of the page.
    I'd link directly to the file but they check http referer URLs.

    And don't let the crappy website scare you, the software itself is quite good.
    Last edited by _Mike; 03-14-2010 at 05:38 PM.

  3. #3
    Registered User carrotcake1029's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    398
    What type of video is in the avi container? If it's already DVD compliant, you can just remux the video/audio.

  4. #4
    and the hat of sweating
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    3,545
    Quote Originally Posted by _Mike View Post
    One converter I often use is a freeware one called SUPER
    SUPER &copy

    Can convert to and from lots of different formats, either using built-in codecs or via DirectShow codecs.

    Edit:
    the download link on that website can be a bit tricky to find so here's a quick guide
    On the page I linked, "Start Downloading SUPER " link at the bottom.
    "download and use" link close to the top.
    "Download SUPER setup file" at the bottom of the page.
    I'd link directly to the file but they check http referer URLs.

    And don't let the crappy website scare you, the software itself is quite good.
    Thanks, I'll give it a try.

    Quote Originally Posted by carrotcake1029 View Post
    What type of video is in the avi container? If it's already DVD compliant, you can just remux the video/audio.
    Remux??

    I think some of them were ripped from a DVD, but don't DVD's need to use MPEG format? These AVI's use DivX.
    "I am probably the laziest programmer on the planet, a fact with which anyone who has ever seen my code will agree." - esbo, 11/15/2008

    "the internet is a scary place to be thats why i dont use it much." - billet, 03/17/2010

  5. #5
    and the hat of sweating
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    3,545
    OK, I tried that SUPER program and it works GREAT!
    Not only did it keep the proper aspect ratio, but the quality of the video looks better and the size of the output file is smaller than with the other program I was using.

    Thanks!
    "I am probably the laziest programmer on the planet, a fact with which anyone who has ever seen my code will agree." - esbo, 11/15/2008

    "the internet is a scary place to be thats why i dont use it much." - billet, 03/17/2010

  6. #6
    Woof, woof! zacs7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,459
    Or try mencoder -- since it's available on Linux and Windows. Not to mention you can keep the aspect ratio.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    19
    I'd probably use ffmpeg to do the conversion process. Though as has been pointed out, AVI is a container format, not an actual codec, so depending on the format that the video and audio are in, you might not have to do any transcoding.

  8. #8
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    23,027
    I don't think I've ever encountered MPEG2 in an AVI container, though. The chances are very slim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  9. #9
    and the hat of sweating
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    3,545
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrl_freak View Post
    I'd probably use ffmpeg to do the conversion process. Though as has been pointed out, AVI is a container format, not an actual codec, so depending on the format that the video and audio are in, you might not have to do any transcoding.
    Actually that SUPER program uses ffmpeg already, as well as MEncoder, ffmpeg2theora & RealProducer.
    "I am probably the laziest programmer on the planet, a fact with which anyone who has ever seen my code will agree." - esbo, 11/15/2008

    "the internet is a scary place to be thats why i dont use it much." - billet, 03/17/2010

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. software Engineer - Fluendo Embedded, Barcelona
    By czarici in forum Projects and Job Recruitment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-03-2009, 09:35 AM
  2. Software Design/Test - Redmond, WA
    By IRVolt in forum Projects and Job Recruitment
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-11-2008, 11:26 AM
  3. Why C Matters
    By DavidP in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 136
    Last Post: 01-16-2008, 09:09 AM
  4. Adding trial period to software
    By BobS0327 in forum C Programming
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-03-2006, 02:13 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21