a boy come from china

This is a discussion on a boy come from china within the General Discussions forums, part of the Community Boards category; Originally Posted by abachler I said nothing of the Chinese people being inferior, only their culture. For all its flaws, ...

  1. #16
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,465
    Quote Originally Posted by abachler View Post
    I said nothing of the Chinese people being inferior, only their culture. For all its flaws, America does at least keep its people fat and well, not exactly happy, but not angry enough to rebel.
    Sure and sure. Forgive me if I go back to my usual schedule.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  2. #17
    Reverse Engineer maxorator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    2,318
    Quote Originally Posted by abachler View Post
    Somehow I just don't feel threatened by a country that still has famines and uses primitive language features like pictographs.
    Quote Originally Posted by abachler View Post
    Do not confuse simplicity with simplistic. There are technical reasons why a phonetic writing system is far superior to a pictographic system. Assuming Chinese is a more complex language just because it uses a separate symbol for each word is the truly naive view, it makes the language far less flexible and extensible.
    You can't just walk around and bash everything that's different from what you're used to. You make these provocative and impolite posts all the time. Stop trolling, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by abachler View Post
    And we don't run over our students with tanks or outlaw religions, or harvest organs from convicted criminals, or kill female babies to ensure the family name will be passed on, or etc etc etc.
    Wait. If you say that the regime in China is evil and totalitarian (I partially agree with that), don't you consider that most of the Chinese people are the VICTIMS of that regime and insulting them is not doing anything good?
    "The Internet treats censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

  3. #18
    Hail to the king, baby. Akkernight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Faroe Islands
    Posts
    717
    Well the fact that Asians came with Manga and Anime and Hentai and that style of drawing, just makes me generalize Asians as... Well, something I say WTF about. What I am trying to say is, if a mind can invent such art and such bad comics, how can they work out a goverment and a system and all that ... This just beats me.
    Oh and welcome thread-starter, I might not understand your culture, but you are still welcome here
    Currently research OpenGL

  4. #19
    Malum in se abachler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,189
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidP View Post
    In fact, I believe the economy is only a very small aspect of it all.
    I think the failing economy is a symptom of a larger problem.

  5. #20
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,465
    Quote Originally Posted by Akkernight View Post
    Well the fact that Asians came with Manga and Anime and Hentai and that style of drawing, just makes me generalize Asians as... Well, something I say WTF about. What I am trying to say is, if a mind can invent such art and such bad comics, how can they work out a goverment and a system and all that ... This just beats me.
    Are you sure? Because I could draw a parallel to American Wrestling, Giant Trucks, Reality Shows and Steven Seagall movies and draw the conclusion, from your own admission, that it's a wonder US can survive as a country.

    Or... are you going to try to convince me these are somehow different things?...

    Don't.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  6. #21
    l'Anziano DavidP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Plano, Texas, United States
    Posts
    2,738
    I think the failing economy is a symptom of a larger problem.
    Did you just reiterate what I said?
    My Website

    "Circular logic is good because it is."

  7. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidP View Post
    Did you just reiterate what I said?
    I think he's repeating what you verbalized.

  8. #23
    Registered User whiteflags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7,699
    In abachler's defense I don't think he wanted people to take what he said at face value. After all, it's too easy to look for flaws in any country and culture.

    Speaking for myself, I refuse to be afraid of the Chinese just because they might have a bigger political penis than us one day. We went through the same thing with the Japanese. The worst that could happen is a land invasion if they actually decide to take over the world, but I expect to be dead before that happens, if it ever does.

  9. #24
    Hail to the king, baby. Akkernight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Faroe Islands
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario F. View Post
    Are you sure? Because I could draw a parallel to American Wrestling, Giant Trucks, Reality Shows and Steven Seagall movies and draw the conclusion, from your own admission, that it's a wonder US can survive as a country.

    Or... are you going to try to convince me these are somehow different things?...

    Don't.
    Did I mention America? I'm from Europe, and here there's little off any of that xP Anyways, have you seen those Asian comics? It's completely retarded and now it just feeds on people by showing huge cleavages and girls that are usually as innocent in their behavior as a school girl, now that's just... Sexism or something. And even such comics that don't even have the real intention of being half-porn have the problem with what I said above, like c'mon...

    Also, from what I hear, America can't even hold itself together, fighting wars in other countries and not fighting the wars in America...
    Currently research OpenGL

  10. #25
    Dr Dipshi++ mike_g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    On me hyperplane
    Posts
    1,218
    Anyways, have you seen those Asian comics?
    Yep.
    It's completely retarded and now it just feeds on people by showing huge cleavages
    Is that a bad thing?
    that's just... Sexism or something.
    Why? Any girl that would tell you that she does not want to be attractive is a liar.
    And even such comics that don't even have the real intention of being half-porn have the problem with what I said above, like c'mon...
    Who cares? If you don't like, don't look: simple. Better yet castrate yourself. Loss of balls may make you less horny, but then it might make you gay (not that being gay is a bad thing). I can't say as I have not tried it yet. TBH I always wondered why fantasising about sex is seen as such a bad thing when, the thought, or re-enactment of, killing people is A-OK in society.

    And anyway WTF does any of this have to do with some Chinese dude that wants to make friends?

    Its like "Hi! Asians are dirty perverts, but never mind, you're welcome here "

  11. #26
    Malum in se abachler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,189
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidP View Post
    Did you just reiterate what I said?
    You stated its an aspect of a larger problem, I specifically assigned a cause effect relationship. between the failing economy and the larger problem, which you left unexpressed.

  12. #27
    Hail to the king, baby. Akkernight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Faroe Islands
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_g View Post
    Yep.

    Is that a bad thing?

    Why? Any girl that would tell you that she does not want to be attractive is a liar.

    Who cares? If you don't like, don't look: simple. Better yet castrate yourself. Loss of balls may make you less horny, but then it might make you gay (not that being gay is a bad thing). I can't say as I have not tried it yet. TBH I always wondered why fantasising about sex is seen as such a bad thing when, the thought, or re-enactment of, killing people is A-OK in society.

    And anyway WTF does any of this have to do with some Chinese dude that wants to make friends?

    Its like "Hi! Asians are dirty perverts, but never mind, you're welcome here "
    dude, these comics are drawn... if you need it, go watch real porn or something o.O
    Anyways, you are overreacting a bit here, I said I didn't understand their culture and not how people can watch those comics without thinking logically... Now, I never mentioned anything about perverts, or that only Asians watch and draw such stuff and I definetly didn't try to ban masturbation... That's what the pope(and prolly his followers) does, not me.

    Anyways, have you never seen how kids (mostly girls in my case) who are all into Manga, Anime change their personally insanely much into something that is like these fictional comics, seriously I know girls who dream about growing tails, getting paws and cat ears, like really dream about it... Maybe this will turn into the new plastic surgery thing.
    Currently research OpenGL

  13. #28
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,465
    Faroe islands is a quite place in Europe, Akkernight. You are simply missing out on a lot of crazy stuff happening around here. If you think Anime or Manga is something worth hailing as a cultural bottom, not only you live in Faroe Islands but also under a rock.

    Really, really, do not make it look like Europe is the keeper of some higher intellectuality. It will only make us look bad because we aren't. Starting in the 80s, Europe cultural identity has been degrading to the point of extinction. Today we absorb everything they throw at us, from Anime to Wrestling. And we produce nothing. Europe as a cradle of culture is a thing of the past. Today we buy at retail.
    Last edited by Mario F.; 11-02-2009 at 07:14 PM.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  14. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    127
    Many people misunderstand the culture of China. I list them here.
    1, Tao - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    2, Confucianism
    Nana C++ Library is a GUI framework that designed to be C++ style, cross-platform and easy-to-use.

  15. #30
    Malum in se abachler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,189
    Many Chinese misunderstand their own culture, I list them here -

    Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Great Chinese Famine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    One-child policy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    A culture is not just the commendable aspects, but the good the bad and the ugly.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. strcmp returning 1...
    By Axel in forum C Programming
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-08-2006, 07:48 PM
  2. War with China
    By nickname_changed in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 08-18-2005, 12:31 PM
  3. A China Dilema, waiting for your opinion
    By childem in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-14-2004, 12:17 AM
  4. Question about atheists
    By gcn_zelda in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 160
    Last Post: 08-11-2003, 11:50 AM

Tags for this Thread


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21