Now they're resorting to burgers

This is a discussion on Now they're resorting to burgers within the General Discussions forums, part of the Community Boards category; Originally Posted by abachler You are wrong, fat reserves have been shown to be directly related to recovery speed. Overweight ...

  1. #16
    Guest Sebastiani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Waterloo, Texas
    Posts
    5,700
    Quote Originally Posted by abachler View Post
    You are wrong, fat reserves have been shown to be directly related to recovery speed. Overweight people get sick less often, and less severely, and recover faster. An Overweight worker misses fewer work days due to communicable diseases (e.g. common cold, flu) than a 'Standard' worker. These workers also take less time to recover and return to work.
    Citation, please?

    I've been trying to rationalize why my intuition tells me that fat reserves would be more susceptible to harbor pathogens, but so far all I could come up with was the fact that there is less blood flow to fatty areas, meaning less immunological helpers circulating throughout. So I'm not sure how likely it is that there may be a correlation there.

    Anyway, I'd argue that the impact of obesity to health is still of much significance. Not for all people, naturally, but for many it can be a major deficiency when fighting illness. If important muscular organs become infused with too much fatty tissue then they must work harder, and thus less efficiently. That, and the fact that there is more tissue overall for the various fluids to circulate through means the metabolic rate may be much lower than normal. Also, substances that would be more readily expelled otherwise may linger in the fatty tissues (which really relates to my first point).

    Also, I think the attribition of thinness, per se, to higher rates of illness is fairly unlikely. Obviously, if the person is malnourished, it will certainly be more difficult to fend of pathogens. But the same goes for obese persons who are malnourished (eg. too much junk food). I'm fairly thin and haven't gotten sick in years, and when I do I recover quickly. This wasn't always the case. When I was younger, my primary caretaker wasn't exactly the most concious about the importance of wholesome foods, ample water consumption, clean air, exercise, etc, and as a result, I think, I was much more vulnerable to disease/infection/fatigue. Fortunately, someone did finally step in and remedy the situation, and my vitality/health did increase dramatically. Point being, those factors are *much* more important than weight, by several orders of magnitude. Beyond that, the most essential tool for healing is the mind itself, which operates on many levels to produce conducive conditions for self-repair. That's overlooked way too often, I think.

    So in short, a healthy lifestyle plus positive thinking generally ensures the best protection against illness, all things considered.

  2. #17
    Unregistered User Yarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,609
    Quote Originally Posted by abachler View Post
    You are wrong, fat reserves have been shown to be directly related to recovery speed. Overweight people get sick less often, and less severely, and recover faster. An Overweight worker misses fewer work days due to communicable diseases (e.g. common cold, flu) than a 'Standard' worker. These workers also take less time to recover and return to work.
    Ha ha, if we didn't already know you were overweight, this would've cinched it.

    I would have to disagree... I don't know whether or not excess fat makes the body more seductible or not (though if I had to make an educated guess, I would guess that it does). But I do know that a person of normal weight is much more likely to have a healthy lifestyle than an obese person.
    A class that doesn't overload all operators just isn't finished yet. -- SmugCeePlusPlusWeenie
    A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe in God. -- Alan J. Perlis

  3. #18
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,438
    Quote Originally Posted by zacs7 View Post
    Either way, there's a reason why you don't see fat people in the Olympics.
    You don't see all the events, do you?
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  4. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,246
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario F. View Post
    You don't see all the events, do you?
    True, some of those shot-put athletes are pretty big. And let's face it; at the rate the Olympic Committee is adding new events every year, it's only a matter of time before hot-dog eating is an official sport of the Olympic games.
    bit∙hub [bit-huhb] n. A source and destination for information.

  5. #20
    Guest Sebastiani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Waterloo, Texas
    Posts
    5,700
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario F. View Post
    You don't see all the events, do you?
    Eh? As in...?

  6. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,246
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastiani View Post
    Eh? As in...?
    How about Sumo wrestlers?
    bit∙hub [bit-huhb] n. A source and destination for information.

  7. #22
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastiani View Post
    Eh? As in...?
    Shooting and Archery;
    Weight-lifting;
    Hammer, Discus and Javelin throw;
    Judo;(*)
    Table Tennis,


    All sports and events where you can see overweight or obese people.

    (*)2008 introduced the +100 Kgs event. Very entertaining.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  8. #23
    Malum in se abachler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarin View Post
    Ha ha, if we didn't already know you were overweight, this would've cinched it.

    I would have to disagree... I don't know whether or not excess fat makes the body more seductible or not (though if I had to make an educated guess, I would guess that it does). But I do know that a person of normal weight is much more likely to have a healthy lifestyle than an obese person.
    There is a vast difference between being overweight and being obese. Then you have to define healthy lifestyle. Because obviously the media skews it to mean being skinny. I'm classified as being overweight, but I can still lift 100+ lbs of groceries and carry them into the house in one trip without breathing heavy. My most recent cardiology checkup found
    No buildup of any clinical significance.
    My blood pressure is normal. I have no permanent restrictions to my range of motion and in fact am quite a bit more limber than the average 'healthy lifestyle' person. (I pinched a muscle in my neck carrying firewood).

    So show proof that your so called healthy lifestyle increases resistance and recovery from H1N1.

    In fact the only way to finish this argument is to conduct a study. So lets get 1000 fat bastards like me and 1000 scrawny toothpicks like you and inject ourselves with H1N1 and see how many of each group drop dead, how long each group is sick, and how soon they are physically able to perform various job related tasks. Since you champion the skinny people, you get to pick that group, and I'll pick the fat group, and you and I will both be part of our respective groups (i.e. we get injected too). Everyone gets the exact same dose regardless of weight or if you prefer by lung capacity.
    Last edited by abachler; 10-26-2009 at 11:39 AM.
    Until you can build a working general purpose reprogrammable computer out of basic components from radio shack, you are not fit to call yourself a programmer in my presence. This is cwhizard, signing off.

  9. #24
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,438
    Can I do... I dunno, something? I can do the recording. But only if I get injected too. Need my yearly dose of flu. Work is being a drag.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  10. #25
    C++ Witch laserlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    21,648
    Quote Originally Posted by abachler
    So show proof that your so called healthy lifestyle increases resistance and recovery from H1N1.

    In fact the only way to finish this argument is to conduct a study. So lets get 1000 fat bastards like me and 1000 scrawny toothpicks like you and inject ourselves with H1N1 and see how many of each group drop dead, how long each group is sick, and how soon they are physically able to perform various job related tasks. Since you champion the skinny people, you get to pick that group, and I'll pick the fat group, and you and I will both be part of our respective groups (i.e. we get injected too). Everyone gets the exact same dose regardless of weight or if you prefer by lung capacity.
    I vaguely recall something about H1N1 being an anomaly among its kind in that healthy people, or at least those not normally regarded as high risk, were more susceptible than usual, possibly even more so than those in the usual high risk groups. If this is true (and even if it is not), then the study would not prove that being a "fat bastard" is not worse than being a "scrawny toothpick" in general where resistance to and recovery from such illnesses is concerned.
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Version Control System: Bazaar

    Look up a C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  11. #26
    Guest Sebastiani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Waterloo, Texas
    Posts
    5,700
    How about Sumo wrestlers?
    Really? Wow, I can't remember ever seeing that one.

    Shooting and Archery;
    Weight-lifting;
    Hammer, Discus and Javelin throw;
    Judo;(*)
    Table Tennis,
    All sports and events where you can see overweight or obese people.
    (*)2008 introduced the +100 Kgs event. Very entertaining.
    Okay, weight-lifting, discus, and javalin I have seen. Sorry, it's been a while since I really paid much attention to the Olympics.

    Quote Originally Posted by abachler View Post
    There is a vast difference between being overweight and being obese. Then you have to define healthy lifestyle. Because obviously the media skews it to mean being skinny. I'm classified as being overweight, but I can still lift 100+ lbs of groceries and carry them into the house in one trip without breathing heavy. My most recent cardiology checkup found My blood pressure is normal. I have no permanent restrictions to my range of motion and in fact am quite a bit more limber than the average 'healthy lifestyle' person. (I pinched a muscle in my neck carrying firewood).
    If you genuinely feel healthy, then you probably are. But there are many who are not. I've know quite a few of them, actually.

    So show proof that your so called healthy lifestyle increases resistance and recovery from H1N1. In fact the only way to finish this argument is to conduct a study. So lets get 1000 fat bastards like me and 1000 scrawny toothpicks like you and inject ourselves with H1N1 and see how many of each group drop dead, how long each group is sick, and how soon they are physically able to perform various job related tasks. Since you champion the skinny people, you get to pick that group, and I'll pick the fat group, and you and I will both be part of our respective groups (i.e. we get injected too). Everyone gets the exact same dose regardless of weight or if you prefer by lung capacity.
    I say we up the ante. HIV?

  12. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,246
    Doing a search on "h1n1 fat people" seems to return articles like this one or this one that indicate swine flu is more lethal for fat people. I haven't seen a single article that asserts a claim similar to abachler's (that fat people are less susceptible to the virus).
    bit∙hub [bit-huhb] n. A source and destination for information.

  13. #28
    Unregistered User Yarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,609
    Quote Originally Posted by abachler View Post
    There is a vast difference between being overweight and being obese. Then you have to define healthy lifestyle. Because obviously the media skews it to mean being skinny. I'm classified as being overweight, but I can still lift 100+ lbs of groceries and carry them into the house in one trip without breathing heavy. My most recent cardiology checkup found My blood pressure is normal. I have no permanent restrictions to my range of motion and in fact am quite a bit more limber than the average 'healthy lifestyle' person. (I pinched a muscle in my neck carrying firewood).

    So show proof that your so called healthy lifestyle increases resistance and recovery from H1N1.

    In fact the only way to finish this argument is to conduct a study. So lets get 1000 fat bastards like me and 1000 scrawny toothpicks like you and inject ourselves with H1N1 and see how many of each group drop dead, how long each group is sick, and how soon they are physically able to perform various job related tasks. Since you champion the skinny people, you get to pick that group, and I'll pick the fat group, and you and I will both be part of our respective groups (i.e. we get injected too). Everyone gets the exact same dose regardless of weight or if you prefer by lung capacity.
    I wasn't trying to implying that you're obese. I also deliberately avoided the word 'skinny', because I do think that (for most people) 'skinny' is not an optimum weight.
    In the circle of friends that I have, the more overweight they are, they more they snack on unhealthy food, the easier it is to wear them out, the more sensitive to cold/hot they are, their can't lift things as well, they look a little worse, etc.. But I have yet to see a positive thing. (except maybe for having a better chance of surviving through a famine)
    I don't notice them being more or less sick, but overall health and natural immune system strength aren't the same, even if they are linked.
    You say that you feel healthy. That's great. But you'd probably feel overall better off (health included, but not exclusively) if you were to loose some weight.
    A class that doesn't overload all operators just isn't finished yet. -- SmugCeePlusPlusWeenie
    A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe in God. -- Alan J. Perlis

  14. #29
    Ex scientia vera
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    478
    Quote Originally Posted by abachler View Post
    You are wrong, fat reserves have been shown to be directly related to recovery speed. Overweight people get sick less often, and less severely, and recover faster. An Overweight worker misses fewer work days due to communicable diseases (e.g. common cold, flu) than a 'Standard' worker. These workers also take less time to recover and return to work.
    That might be true, but then all of a sudden your never-sick-from-work guy dies from a heart attack at the age of 43.
    "What's up, Doc?"
    "'Up' is a relative concept. It has no intrinsic value."

  15. #30
    Dr Dipshi++ mike_g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    On me hyperplane
    Posts
    1,218
    Ok, lets set a few myths straight: fat people are generally lazy lumps of lard unless they live in the arctic. I'm skinny, and I used to get sick a lot. Probably mostly from living in hostels getting drunk all the time. More recently I started running. I do about 50K per week, and I never get sick anymore. It makes me sweat like a pig, and it has caused me to lose even more weight to the point that I'm nothing but bone and muscle, but I never get sick anymore. Physical fitness and healthy eating are the two main determining factors in immune system performance. Not saying fat people can't be fit - its just usually they are not.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21