c++ games comparable to psx games?

This is a discussion on c++ games comparable to psx games? within the Game Programming forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; I just started learning c++, and i was wondering if c++ graphics in games are as good as any psx ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    4

    c++ games comparable to psx games?

    I just started learning c++, and i was wondering if c++ graphics in games are as good as any psx games? Peace

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    4
    Also, i meant to ask if anyone know of where i can download some c++ games/sample code... Also, can someone point me towards a game demo or something that shows what c++ is capable of? Peace
    Last edited by anarchyhollow; 12-29-2002 at 10:43 PM.

  3. #3
    UNBANNED OneStiffRod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    669
    what do you mean by psx???

    what does that stand for - not play station??
    My Avatar says: "Stay in School"

    Rocco is the Boy!
    "SHUT YOUR LIPS..."

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    19
    oh yes, i'm sure he means with psx playstation gamex :-)

    wudmx

  5. #5
    Programming Sex-God Polymorphic OOP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,078
    Most games are programmed in C++ IE Playstation, Gamecube, XBox, PC.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    1,640
    Sure! Console Apps kicks the psx game's arses!
    No really, you must program in OpenGL or Direct3D to
    get equilevant graphics, also quake3 (wich is waaaaay to
    heavy to run on the psx, it barely runs on the dreamcast)
    is written in c, so its not nesecarely c++ that rules the psx.

  7. #7
    Programming Sex-God Polymorphic OOP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,078
    Originally posted by Travis Dane
    Sure! Console Apps kicks the psx game's arses!
    No really, you must program in OpenGL or Direct3D to
    get equilevant graphics
    Which you'd most-likely do in C or C++. OpenGL and Direct3D are just APIs not programming languages.

    Originally posted by Travis Dane
    also quake3 (wich is waaaaay to
    heavy to run on the psx, it barely runs on the dreamcast)
    is written in c, so its not nesecarely c++ that rules the psx.
    Anything written in C can be done exactly the same in C++ if a compiler for the platform is available.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    1,640
    Originally posted by Polymorphic OOP
    Which you'd most-likely do in C or C++. OpenGL and Direct3D are just APIs not programming languages.
    I know,but go blame his question then, he asked for c++ gfx

    Originally posted by Polymorphic OOP
    Anything written in C can be done exactly the same in C++ if a compiler for the platform is available.
    That's correct, but i was just saying that c++ is not NESECARY,
    of course c++ can what c can

  9. #9
    Registered User foniks munkee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    343
    Well - if any of the jobs I have seen advertised recently for GameCube/PS2 type consoles are anything to go by, then you had better have a good grasp of Assembly and experience in embedded systems programming too. It is rare (especially at the begining of a consoles life cycle were dev environments are not that advanced) - that either just C or C++ is going to be sufficient for the whole task.

    I guess it depends on what aspects you are dealing with - low level systems programming, dev tools, user interfaces, graphics engines - these generally involve different programming paradigms and could possibly involve different languages.

    I know of a company that has written Linux/PS2/PC libraries in a mixture of C and Assembly - but have another library that provides a layer of abstraction written in C++, (to provide a common interface between platforms). But the people who write the tools may use something like Java to quickly develop gui's - so I guess what I am saying is that it really depends on what you mean by games programming in the real world.
    "Queen and huntress, chaste and fair,
    Now the sun is laid to sleep,
    Seated in thy silver chair,
    State in wonted manner keep."

  10. #10
    Banned frenchfry164's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    1,552
    I just started learning c++, and i was wondering if c++ graphics in games are as good as any psx games? Peace
    C++ is used in a lot of consoles. Oh, and BTW, computers can make better graphics than any of the current consoles can. You just have to have the right hardware. PC's are the most powerful platform. The main reason for consoles is compatibility, and so people on a budget don't have to buy a $1000 unit (although now you can get PC's for $400, but the consoles will have better hardware for games then they do anyway)

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    305
    a lot of console games use 2 or 3 languages, but C/C++ is probably the main languages in them anyways. btw, the psx is the most horrible system lol. you cant compare graphics on the pc to graphics on even ps2, xbox, and gamecube.

  12. #12
    Banned frenchfry164's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    1,552
    and the great thing about computers is you could have an old game with so-so graphics, but if you put a new graphics card in your box, it'll have a ton better graphics (/me hugs DirectX). I've played Morrowind on a GeForce 3 Ti 200 64MB, and I played it on another friend's Radeon 9700 Pro, and it looked a LOT better. Also I saw a screen on NVidia's site for their GeForceFX GPU and they had a screen of Morrowind, and it was completely awe-inducing. But I'm stuck with an old integrated 8MB graphics card . I'm probably going to get a GeForce4 MX 420 if I decide to spend $90 of my christmas money on it. I could get it for $40 if I had a damn AGP port.

  13. #13
    _ Munkey01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    280
    Originally posted by frenchfry164
    and the great thing about computers is you could have an old game with so-so graphics, but if you put a new graphics card in your box, it'll have a ton better graphics (/me hugs DirectX). I've played Morrowind on a GeForce 3 Ti 200 64MB, and I played it on another friend's Radeon 9700 Pro, and it looked a LOT better. Also I saw a screen on NVidia's site for their GeForceFX GPU and they had a screen of Morrowind, and it was completely awe-inducing. But I'm stuck with an old integrated 8MB graphics card . I'm probably going to get a GeForce4 MX 420 if I decide to spend $90 of my christmas money on it. I could get it for $40 if I had a damn AGP port.
    Ever heard of a five finger discount LOL.

  14. #14
    ! |-| /-\ +3 1337 Yawgmoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    187
    What's a five finger discount?
    L33t sp3@k sux0rz (uZ it t@k3s 10 m1|\|ut3s 2 tr@nzl@te 1 \/\/0rd & th3n j00 h@\/3 2 g3t p@$t d@ m1zpelli|\|gz, @tr0(i0u$ gr@mm@r @|\|d 1n(0/\/\pr3#3|\|$1bl3 $l@|\|g. 1t p\/\/33nz j00!!

    Speling is my faverit sujekt

    I am a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I may multiply.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    305
    i think it was some type of 1337 sarcasm that us un1337 ppl didnt catch...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. When done right, PC games are amazing
    By VirtualAce in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2008, 05:32 PM
  2. Violent video games?
    By VirtualAce in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 04-26-2006, 01:43 PM
  3. The next Playstation (PSX PS3)
    By Liger86 in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-27-2003, 09:36 PM
  4. Video Games Industry. 5 years left.
    By Cheeze-It in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-10-2002, 09:52 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21