My First Game!!!!!!!
Hi peeps, i've "completed" my first game its a DOS based version of the towers of hanoi. There are three pegs A,B+C to start with Peg A has a series of rings the smallest on top and the largest on the bottom. The goal is to acheive this same order on Peg B in the minimum number of moves possible. Two main rules exist
1. A larger ring may not be placed on top of a smaller one
2. Only one ring at a time may be moved.
Please tell me what u think of it, there are obviously some things to improve upon, but ur comments would be appreciated.
nice job for a first game! mine was a lot like it (stix).
1. make an end sequence
2. controls aren't very good
thats basically all, keep up to good work ;)
I've gotten rid of a few bugs and added a move counter, go to the same URL to download it.
Congratulations, not bad at all. At least you finished your first game (I'm still working on mine :p ).
But there are quite abit of things you might want to consider tho:
- go to www.gametutorials.com and under C++ check out how to do screen buffering (I know it might be confusing at first, but it's worth it - it's the easiest graphics get :p)
- validate the entries (check if you can move B to C or C to A for example when all the numbers are in A) - to do that you can just make an array holding the number of entries in each - A,B and C.
- the screen is not big enough to see all the numbers on Hard difficulty ... try to make the operations or input simpler, like by typing in "A-C" it will move from A to C. (you can do it via strcmp() or make a function like that yourself).
In all, pretty good game :D
Small update, I changed the display slightly so that the user can now see all the numbers in hard. I've also included the source code and VC workspace files.
Get it here: http://www.puterpaul.co.uk/hanoi.html
Just a side note, I plan on trying to get to grips with the DirectX API, pretty heavy stuff these API's. How the hell did you guys get to grips with it.
I have to admit its quite daunting at the moment.