Concole Cursor position

This is a discussion on Concole Cursor position within the C++ Programming forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; I am trying to adjust the cursor position for a console project I am working on. This is taking right ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5

    Concole Cursor position

    I am trying to adjust the cursor position for a console project I am working on. This is taking right from the MSDN website (Microsoft's C++ database), but when I compile it says

    "6 C:\Documents and Settings\j\My Documents\SimSTATS\test.cpp expected namespace-name before ';' token "

    and highlights the line "using namespace System;"

    Anyone help?

    I've never used that before, I've only used "using namespace std;", in addition the above issue/question, can anyone briefly explain or point me to literature that could explain the different between namespace std and namespace System and when to use them?

    Code:
    // This example demonstrates the 
    //     Console.CursorLeft and 
    //     Console.CursorTop properties, and the
    //     Console.SetCursorPosition and 
    //     Console.Clear methods.
    using namespace System;
    int origRow;
    int origCol;
    void WriteAt( String^ s, int x, int y )
    {
       try
       {
          Console::SetCursorPosition( origCol + x, origRow + y );
          Console::Write( s );
       }
       catch ( ArgumentOutOfRangeException^ e ) 
       {
          Console::Clear();
          Console::WriteLine( e->Message );
       }
    
    }
    
    int main()
    {
    
       // Clear the screen, then save the top and left coordinates.
       Console::Clear();
       origRow = Console::CursorTop;
       origCol = Console::CursorLeft;
    
       // Draw the left side of a 5x5 rectangle, from top to bottom.
       WriteAt( "+", 0, 0 );
       WriteAt( "|", 0, 1 );
       WriteAt( "|", 0, 2 );
       WriteAt( "|", 0, 3 );
       WriteAt( "+", 0, 4 );
    
       // Draw the bottom side, from left to right.
       WriteAt( "-", 1, 4 ); // shortcut: WriteAt("---", 1, 4)
       WriteAt( "-", 2, 4 ); // ...
       WriteAt( "-", 3, 4 ); // ...
       WriteAt( "+", 4, 4 );
    
       // Draw the right side, from bottom to top.
       WriteAt( "|", 4, 3 );
       WriteAt( "|", 4, 2 );
       WriteAt( "|", 4, 1 );
       WriteAt( "+", 4, 0 );
    
       // Draw the top side, from right to left.
       WriteAt( "-", 3, 0 ); // shortcut: WriteAt("---", 1, 0)
       WriteAt( "-", 2, 0 ); // ...
       WriteAt( "-", 1, 0 ); // ...
    
       //
       WriteAt( "All done!", 0, 6 );
       Console::WriteLine();
    }
    
    /*
    This example produces the following results:
    
    +---+
    |   |
    |   |
    |   |
    +---+
    
    All done!
    
    */

  2. #2
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,471
    this is seems to be a managed code
    You should compile it as a .Net project
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21