Alternate Languages in C++

This is a discussion on Alternate Languages in C++ within the C++ Programming forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; Hi there everyone, I've been trying to work this out for a while now, but I cant find any solutions ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6

    Alternate Languages in C++

    Hi there everyone, I've been trying to work this out for a while now, but I cant find any solutions to it anywhere. I'm trying to develop a program to run on English based window systems, but use Japanese language characters. When ever I use Japanese characters, they become corrupted and display as ?'s or as gibberish like 1#%& or something. The only solution i've been able to find, is by running the system through on a japanese window's system (Using Microsoft AppLocale to mimic a japanese window's system) however, this isn't a viable solution for me, as I do not want this software to require external software to run. If anyone can give me any solutions or ideas on how to get around it, i'd be most appreciative. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Cat without Hat CornedBee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,892
    What version of Windows? NT, 2k, XP, Vista should all have absolutely no problem with Japanese programs (aside from fonts not supporting the characters), as long as your application is written with Unicode in mind. To do this, however, you need to understand how Unicode works and how to use it in C++.
    All the buzzt!
    CornedBee

    "There is not now, nor has there ever been, nor will there ever be, any programming language in which it is the least bit difficult to write bad code."
    - Flon's Law

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6
    XP, I switched to a font that apparently did support the japanese unicode, but it still had issues with it. Its quite painful really. ^^;

  4. #4
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadell View Post
    XP, I switched to a font that apparently did support the japanese unicode, but it still had issues with it. Its quite painful really. ^^;
    Maybe you should just switch to UNICODE?
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6
    How do I do that? I need something that is going to accept japanese input from japanese keyboards etc. Outputting unicode isnt enough, the program also needs to support the input of it, which is whats causing me issues.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6
    Worked it out guys
    Theres a setting in my software's project details which allow me to specify a language that the program is compiled in. By setting it to japanese, it bypasses those issues, and I dont need to run it through any external software. Thanks for all the help though guys I appreciate it.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Why C Matters
    By DavidP in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 136
    Last Post: 01-16-2008, 08:09 AM
  2. Strange loop
    By D@rk_force in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-18-2004, 01:40 PM
  3. Languages dying
    By Zewu in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-29-2003, 10:08 AM
  4. Programming Languages
    By DarkViper in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-12-2002, 01:28 PM
  5. How can an api be accessed through other languages
    By Shadow12345 in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-21-2002, 07:01 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21