Confused newbie

This is a discussion on Confused newbie within the C++ Programming forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; Nobody? Or nobody now? Have you seen a really big watch? XII - not 1 and 2 or IX - ...

  1. #31
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,458
    Nobody? Or nobody now? Have you seen a really big watch? XII - not 1 and 2
    or IX - not 9

    Many forms exists for the same number
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  2. #32
    Deathray Engineer MacGyver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,211
    I think my point is being lost.

    Nobody that I know of intuitively finds it easier to work with binary numbers in little-endian than in big-endian. All you guys are doing is introducing various formats of reading numbers within totally different representations.

    That's not the same thing. All I'm saying is that big-endian binary is more natural to humans than little endian binary... imo, of course.

  3. #33
    Cat without Hat CornedBee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,893
    It's the "to humans" I object to. It's more natural to one subgroup of the humans - us - because we grew up with it. It's not something that is anchored within human nature.
    All the buzzt!
    CornedBee

    "There is not now, nor has there ever been, nor will there ever be, any programming language in which it is the least bit difficult to write bad code."
    - Flon's Law

  4. #34
    Deathray Engineer MacGyver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,211
    A similar discussion was held recently in the C forum where many people claimed most numbers in decimal form are easier for humans to understand than the same numbers in hexadecimal form. I take it then that you would also object to this claim on the same grounds as you did with my statement about endianess. If so, then I believe I firmly understand your position.

  5. #35
    Cat without Hat CornedBee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,893
    Yes, I would. I believe there are still base 12 number systems in use in some cultures. I know for a fact that there were at some point in history.

    I will admit, though, that base 10 is a logical base for humans to use, because we have 10 fingers. I think in an alien species with 8 fingers or so, base 8 would be the predominant numbering system. (Lucky them )
    All the buzzt!
    CornedBee

    "There is not now, nor has there ever been, nor will there ever be, any programming language in which it is the least bit difficult to write bad code."
    - Flon's Law

  6. #36
    Ethernal Noob
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    1,901
    I saw it on stargate once, or was that base 15.

  7. #37
    Registered User hk_mp5kpdw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Northern Virginia/Washington DC Metropolitan Area
    Posts
    3,793
    Quote Originally Posted by CornedBee View Post
    I think in an alien species with 8 fingers or so, base 8 would be the predominant numbering system. (Lucky them )
    The Kzinti use base 8.
    "Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are god. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are gods."
    -Christopher Hitchens

  8. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    835
    The Dozenal Society of America (http://www.dozenal.org) and the Dozenal Society of Great Britain (http://www.dozenalsociety.org.uk) advocate the use of base 12 arithmetic. They probably should have given it up when pocket calculators came out.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. newbie : a little confused ?
    By gemini_shooter in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-10-2006, 08:33 AM
  2. Newbie Question - fflush(stdin) & fpurge(stdin) on Mac and PC
    By tvsinesperanto in forum C Programming
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 03-11-2006, 11:13 AM
  3. newbie question about linked list
    By gemini_shooter in forum C Programming
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-13-2005, 10:50 PM
  4. Newbie Programmer
    By Extropian in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-18-2004, 01:17 PM
  5. Newbie Game Develpoers Unite!
    By Telenosis in forum Game Programming
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-22-2002, 02:02 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21