Main Differences Between C++ And VB6

This is a discussion on Main Differences Between C++ And VB6 within the C++ Programming forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; If anyone could answer this for me it would be much appreciated. What are the main differences between C++ and ...

  1. #1
    Registered User varisk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1

    Main Differences Between C++ And VB6

    If anyone could answer this for me it would be much appreciated. What are the main differences between C++ and VB6 programming? What are their different capabilities?

  2. #2
    Deathray Engineer MacGyver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,211
    They are two totally different languages, but I'll try to compare them. C++ gives you the ability to write a variety of applications, including Win32 applications. VB, on the other hand, is more meant to do only Win32 applications in a much shorter amount of time.

    C++ gives you more power and ability to change things. VB grants much greater ease, but lacks in some functionality. Both can use the Windows API (ie. Windows functions on MSDN.).

    Do you need the power of C++? Do you need the ease of VB? Those are questions a developer has to decide. Since you posted this on the forums of a website dedicated to C and C++, you'll probably be told C++ is better in most regards.

    If you care for my personal opinion (since you seem to want people's opinions), I often joke around with people and tell them that VB is not a "real language".

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    903
    That pretty much sums it up. I think that VB would be slower, but that might only be an urban legend. The best would be to be able to use both. You can build the interface with VB and use DLLs made in C++. That's harder though, because you have to know really well both languages.

  4. #4
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,471
    You can build the interface with VB and use DLLs made in C++.
    Only if you have not enough headake... Have to support such a project. Can't wait when it dies (not soon enough for me)... Debugging such projects - is a nightmare...
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21