need help with stack

This is a discussion on need help with stack within the C++ Programming forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; Write code that will determine the number of common unique elements in the two stacks. For example, S has elements ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3

    need help with stack

    Write code that will determine the number of common unique elements in
    the two stacks. For example, S has elements (top to bottom): 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5,
    6; T has elements (top to bottom): 1, 3, 5, 5, 7. The common elements are
    1, 3 and 5. The function should therefore return 3.

    this is what i have and its not working... help pleasee

    Code:
    
    #include <iostream>
    #include <cstdlib>
    #include <stack>
    
    using namespace std;
    int cce(stack<int>& S, stack<int>& T);
    int main()
    {
      stack<int> S;
      stack<int> T;
    
     S.push(1);
      S.push(2);
      S.push(3);
      S.push(3);
      S.push(4);
      S.push(5);
      
      T.push(1);
      T.push(3);
      T.push(5);
      T.push(5);
      T.push(7);
    
      
      cout<<cce(S,T);
      
         
    system ("PAUSE");
    return 0;
    }
    
    int cce(stack<int>& S, stack<int>& T)
    {
    
        stack <int> temp;
        int count = 0;
        
        for(int x = S.size(); x>=1; x--)
        {
           for(int i = T.size(); i>=1; i--)
            {
               if(S.top()==T.top())
               {
                 count++;
                 temp.push(T.top());
                 T.pop();
               }
               else
               {
                 temp.push(T.top());
                 T.pop();
               }
            }
            for(int y = temp.size(); y>=1; y--)
            {
             T.push(temp.top());
             temp.pop();
            }
        }
    
    }

  2. #2
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,470
    Where do you go to the next element in the S stack?
    I don't see S.pop()

    I think the outter loop should be like
    Code:
    while(S.size() > 0)
    {
      //  do your work with S.top()
    
       S.pop();
    }
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3
    i changed it it to a while loop added the pop but still not working. any more ideas please

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3
    i dont it this way as well but cant seem executing...please help
    Code:
    #include <iostream>
    #include <cstdlib>
    #include <stack>
    
    using namespace std;
    int cce(stack<int>& S, stack<int>& T);
    int main()
    {
      stack<int> S;
      stack<int> T;
      S.push(1);
      S.push(2);
      S.push(3);
      S.push(3);
      S.push(4);
      S.push(5);
      
      T.push(1);
      T.push(3);
      T.push(5);
      T.push(5);
      T.push(7);
      
      cout<<cce(S, T)<<endl;
      
         
    system ("PAUSE");
    return 0;
    }
    
    int cce(stack<int>& S, stack<int>& T)
    {
        int count=0;
        while(S.size() > 0)
        {
            if(S.top() < T.top())
            {
            T.pop();
            } 
            else if(T.top()< S.top())
            {
               S.pop();
            }        
            else 
            {
                 count = count + 1;
                 T.pop();
                 while( T.size() > 0)
                 {
                    if(S.top() == T.top())
                    T.pop();
                 }
            
                   S.pop();       
            }
            
                   
         }
                    return count;
    }

  5. #5
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,470
    what about
    Code:
    int cce(stack<int>& S, stack<int>& T)
    {
        int count=0;
        while(S.size() > 0 && T.size() > 0)
        {
            if(S.top() < T.top())
            {
            T.pop();
            } 
            else if(T.top()< S.top())
            {
               S.pop();
            }        
            else 
            {
                 count++;
                 T.pop();
                 S.pop();       
            }
            
                   
         }
          return count;
    }
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. stack and pointer problem
    By ramaadhitia in forum C Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-11-2006, 11:41 PM
  2. infix evaluation using stack
    By lewissi in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-03-2005, 01:56 AM
  3. Question about a stack using array of pointers
    By Ricochet in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-17-2003, 09:12 PM
  4. error trying to compile stack program
    By KristTlove in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-03-2003, 05:27 PM
  5. Stack Program Here
    By Troll_King in forum C Programming
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-15-2001, 05:36 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21