books with compilers

This is a discussion on books with compilers within the C++ Programming forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; Hey, everyone.. Are the compilers which come with your purchased books sufficient enough for you to be able to run ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, AR
    Posts
    91

    Smile books with compilers

    Hey, everyone..
    Are the compilers which come with your purchased books sufficient enough for you to be able to run programs in C++? What is the difference between compilers and linkers?
    Thanks..

  2. #2
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    you maybe want to read this
    Compilation steps in detail?
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  3. #3
    and the hat of int overfl Salem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The edge of the known universe
    Posts
    32,821
    > Are the compilers which come with your purchased books sufficient enough for you to be able to run programs in C++?
    Books which are linked to specific compilers usually end up teaching stuff which is specific to that compiler.
    Trying the code on another compiler usually results in frustration.
    If you dance barefoot on the broken glass of undefined behaviour, you've got to expect the occasional cut.
    If at first you don't succeed, try writing your phone number on the exam paper.
    I support http://www.ukip.org/ as the first necessary step to a free Europe.

  4. #4
    Hardware Engineer
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    1,398
    There are plenty of good free compilers. The free version of Microsoft Visual C++ and the Bloodshed package are both very popular.

    It's always best to start-off with something popular, so that you can get help. (Compilers/IDE's are not the easiest things to learn!)

    For the same reason, it might ba a good idea to use the one that came with your book.
    Books which are linked to specific compilers usually end up teaching stuff which is specific to that compiler.
    True! But, a good book should warn you when they stray from ANSI/ISO Standard C++. (Most compilers do include some extra non-standard libraries while trying to include all of the standard stuff.)

    If you suspect that something's non-standard (In the beginning you won't know what to suspect...), you can check CPPreference.com or Dinkumware.com. If you don't find it there, it's probably not standard.
    Last edited by DougDbug; 12-11-2006 at 03:49 PM.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. What are some good books on C?
    By php111 in forum C Programming
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-01-2008, 07:16 AM
  2. C++ Books
    By Darklighter in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-03-2006, 07:13 PM
  3. Books and Compilers
    By Goof Program in forum C Programming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-19-2002, 05:02 PM
  4. Good books?
    By Unregistered in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-10-2002, 01:58 PM
  5. Books Books Books
    By aresashura in forum Game Programming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-28-2001, 09:08 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21