Replace words in string

This is a discussion on Replace words in string within the C++ Programming forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; Ok, got an update here... still got a few errors. Code: #include <iostream> #include <string> using namespace std; int main() ...

  1. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    10
    Ok, got an update here... still got a few errors.

    Code:
    #include <iostream>
    #include <string>
    using namespace std;
    
    
    int main()
    {
    	string strInput;
    
    	cout << "\nPlease enter a gender specific sentence\n";
    	
    	cout << "or enter `I'm done' to exit the program.\n";
    		  
    		 getline(cin, strInput);  //gets the user input
    		  
    		  do
    		  	{
    			string::size_type loc = strInput.find("he", "him", 0);
    
    			if( loc = string::npos )
    			string strInput.replace("he", "he or she")||
    			string strInput.replace("him", "him or her")
    			cout << strInput;
    		
    			else 
    			cout << strInput;
    			
    			}
    			while 
    				(strInput != "I'm Done");
    				
    	return 0;
    	}
    		  
    	
    
    }
    Errors include:
    - Error E2285 lab6.cpp 29: Could not find a match for 'string::find(char *,char *,int)' in function main()

    - Warning W8060 lab6.cpp 31: Possibly incorrect assignment in function main()

    - Error E2108 lab6.cpp 32: Improper use of typedef 'string' in function main()

    - Warning W8004 lab6.cpp 39: 'loc' is assigned a value that is never used in function main()

    Thanks for replying

  2. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    10
    We also weren't assigned a book for the class, so it's difficult to have to go to outside resources to find examples ofeverything. =(

  3. #18
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,473
    if you want do process several statements inside if-block use
    Code:
    if
    {
    ...
    }
    note that your strInput is not changed inside the loop, how do you plan to get the new input from the user?
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  4. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    10
    Ok, still thats easy to fix, just move the do up...

    Code:
    int main()
    {
    	string strInput;
    
    do
    {
    	cout << "\nPlease enter a gender specific sentence\n";
    	
    	cout << "or enter `I'm done' to exit the program.\n";
    		  
    		 getline(cin, strInput);  //gets the user input
    		  
    		  
    			string::size_type loc = strInput.find("he", "him", 0);
    
    			if( loc = string::npos )
    			string strInput.replace("he", "he or she")||
    			string strInput.replace("him", "him or her")
    			cout << strInput;
    		
    			else 
    			cout << strInput;
    			
    			}
    			while 
    				(strInput != "I'm Done");
    				
    	return 0;
    	}

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. String Class
    By BKurosawa in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 117
    Last Post: 08-09-2007, 01:02 AM
  2. String issues
    By The_professor in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-12-2007, 09:11 AM
  3. Custom String class gives problem with another prog.
    By I BLcK I in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-18-2006, 02:40 AM
  4. Another overloading "<<" problem
    By alphaoide in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-30-2003, 10:32 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-05-2002, 01:38 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21