help

This is a discussion on help within the C++ Programming forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; Hi i am very new to C++ could someone please take a look at this code and tell me what ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    12

    help

    Hi i am very new to C++ could someone please take a look at this code and tell me what I am doing wrong I am a total noob, so if you are willing to help please be as specific as possible. Thank you in advance for any comments.
    [code
    struct info
    {
    char last1 [25];
    char first1 [25];
    double payrate;
    int hours;

    };
    [/code]

    Code:
    #include <iostream>
    #include <iomanip>
    #include <fstream>
    #include <c:\Documents and Settings\Pat\Desktop\prog15\struct15.cpp\struct15.cpp\struct15.cpp>
    
    void getdata(char last1[25], char first1[25], int count, double payrate[25]);
    
    using namespace std;
    
    int main ()
    {
    const int MAX = 25;
    	struct info employee[MAX];
    	int count = 5;
    	char (ret);
    	char last[25];
    	char first[25];
    	double payrate[25];
    
    getdata(last,first,count,payrate);
    
    
    	
    	return 0;
    
    }
    #include <c:\Documents and Settings\Pat\Desktop\prog15\getdata15.cpp\getdata15.cpp\get15.cpp>
    Code:
    void getdata(char last1[25], char first1[25], double count, double payrate[25])
    {
    	char (ret);
    for (int i=0; i<=count; i++)
    	{
    		cout << "input Last Name:"<< endl;
    		cin.getline >> (employee[i].last1,25);
    		cout << "Input First Name:" << endl;
    		cin.getline (employee[i].first1,25);
    		cout << "Input payrate:" << endl;
    		cin >> employee[i].payrate;
    		cout << "Input Hours Worked:" << endl;
    		cin >> employee[i].hours;
    		cin.get (ret);
    		return;
    	}
    
    
    
    
    
    
    	return;
    }
    error codes below:
    c:\documents and settings\pat\desktop\prog15\prog15.cpp\prog15.cpp\ main15.cpp(33) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before 'return'
    1>c:\documents and settings\pat\desktop\prog15\getdata15.cpp\getdata1 5.cpp\get15.cpp(11) : error C2065: 'employee' : undeclared identifier
    1>c:\documents and settings\pat\desktop\prog15\getdata15.cpp\getdata1 5.cpp\get15.cpp(11) : error C2228: left of '.last1' must have class/struct/union
    1>c:\documents and settings\pat\desktop\prog15\getdata15.cpp\getdata1 5.cpp\get15.cpp(13) : error C2228: left of '.first1' must have class/struct/union
    1>c:\documents and settings\pat\desktop\prog15\getdata15.cpp\getdata1 5.cpp\get15.cpp(15) : error C2228: left of '.payrate' must have class/struct/union
    1>c:\documents and settings\pat\desktop\prog15\getdata15.cpp\getdata1 5.cpp\get15.cpp(17) : error C2228: left of '.hours' must have class/struct/union

  2. #2
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    1. while it is possible #include <c:\Documents and Settings\Pat\Desktop\prog15\struct15.cpp\struct15. cpp\struct15.cpp>
    why do you need it?

    - to include files from the current folder use #include "filename.h"
    - cpp in most cases no need to include - only h-files should be included to notify compiler about function prototypes and class declarations
    - several cpp-files can be compiled together without including one-another
    2. Where is your employee struct or class defined?
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    12

    thank you:)

    where should i include the employee struct class and what is the porper syntax?

  4. #4
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    Filename.h
    ------------
    Code:
    struct employee
    {
       string emp_name;
    };
    -----------------
    filename.cpp
    Code:
    #include "Filename.h"
    
    struct employee Myemployee;
    ------------

    Something like that
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    12

    Smile thanks

    thank you very much

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21