Visual c++ express --> Linking problems

This is a discussion on Visual c++ express --> Linking problems within the C++ Programming forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; I have just downloaded the Visual c++ express editon (used Dev-c++ before), but I am having a hard time using ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    UK/Norway
    Posts
    485

    Visual c++ express --> Linking problems

    I have just downloaded the Visual c++ express editon (used Dev-c++ before), but I am having a hard time using it.
    It gives me an error for every single libery I want to include expect from iostream. Even windows.h generates an error.

    Is there something wrong? How do I fix it?

    Also, I am having a hard time trying to find the place where you can add new things, like -opengl32 and so on

    I is probably a really simple and stupid thing, but I cant figure it out. Thanks in advance
    Ole K
    Last edited by h3ro; 12-01-2006 at 06:43 AM.

  2. #2
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    windows.h is a header file - not a library
    post your errors
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  3. #3
    and the hat of wrongness Salem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The edge of the known universe
    Posts
    32,687
    Did you download the platform SDK?
    There's plenty of posts about it on the windows forum.

    Visual c++ express is JUST the compiler, you have to download some other stuff as well.
    If you dance barefoot on the broken glass of undefined behaviour, you've got to expect the occasional cut.
    If at first you don't succeed, try writing your phone number on the exam paper.
    I support http://www.ukip.org/ as the first necessary step to a free Europe.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    UK/Norway
    Posts
    485
    This is the error:

    c:\documents and settings\administrator\mine dokumenter\visual studio 2005\projects\sup\sup\hallo.cpp(3) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'windows.h': No such file or directory

    Same errror if I try to use eg any of the openGL librarys

    I am downloading the SDK now, thanks
    Last edited by h3ro; 12-01-2006 at 07:45 AM.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Can we have vector of vector?
    By ketu1 in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-03-2008, 04:02 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-27-2006, 10:39 AM
  3. Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition
    By BestGameMovie in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-15-2005, 01:49 PM
  4. MS Visual C++ 6 wont include vector.h in a header file
    By bardsley99 in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-06-2003, 11:05 AM
  5. header file bringing errors?
    By bluehead in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-19-2003, 12:51 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21