I have searched these forums and read multiple topics, but none really answered what I am searching for. So here goes. First of all, I am not trying to code a keylogger, so no flames please. :)
What I want to do is write a program that will record how many times each key is pressed and print it by the corresponding character. For instance, if I hit j ten times, it should say "j: 10". The difficult part is, I want it to record keys pressed in any windows, not just the program it self. For instance, if I type "hello friend" in an instant message it should print h: 1, e: 2, l: 2 etc.
I don't know if this is possible. Thank you for the help.
You just don't know what to search for.
Welcome to the forums!
You can do this in four simple steps:
1. Get a web camera.
2. Point it at the keyboard.
3. Use OCR(optical character recognition) to map which key is which.
4. Use motion detection to check which key is pressed.
1. Hire a person to watch you type and count the number of times each key is pressed.
2. Possibly cheaper, train a monkey to do it, don't forget to feed it occasionally.
Cut and paste:
Instead of typing directly, create a big text file with a thousand instances of each character. When you need a character cut and paste it from the text file. At the end of the day count how many of each character you have used.
(Or you could use Codeplug's suggestion if you don't like monkeys).