Checking bits in a bitwise operation

This is a discussion on Checking bits in a bitwise operation within the C++ Programming forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; I'm working on a homework assignment, and this specific part of it is confusing me: Then use masking and shifting ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    32

    Checking bits in a bitwise operation

    I'm working on a homework assignment, and this specific part of it is confusing me:

    Then use masking and shifting operations to decode the number. For each of the four possible diagnostics, mask off the right-hand bit. If it is 1, set the corresponding level variable to true. Then right-shift one bit and repeat.

    My only problem is that I don't know how to refer to this specific bit and check it. I tried doing this:

    Code:
    if (arg[0] == 0b1)
              boolVar = true;
    arg = arg >> 1;
    //repeat for other bits
    and learned that apparently you can't treat a number in this case like an array. So how would I be able to refer to this bit?

  2. #2
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,449
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10
    Code:
    int a = 3;
    
    //test if Low Order bit is true
    if( a & 1)cout << "Least significant bit is 1\n";
    what happens here is the value stored in a 0000 0011 is bitwise-anded with 0000 0001 which returns 0000 0001. which is true!

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. C Bitwise Operation..
    By ahmedBanihammad in forum C Programming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-31-2010, 09:11 AM
  2. Bitwise operation; flag look up
    By emptythought in forum C Programming
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-08-2010, 06:48 AM
  3. int into bits Bitwise
    By bobdillion in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 05-21-2010, 02:17 AM
  4. Bitwise operation problem
    By cunnus88 in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-25-2008, 01:49 PM
  5. Bitwise operation
    By Justice in forum C Programming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-09-2008, 08:06 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21