Where can I download the WIN32 API

This is a discussion on Where can I download the WIN32 API within the C++ Programming forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; I recently had to restore my computer back to the way it came from the factory and lost everything. I ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Bogalusa Louisiana
    Posts
    3

    Where can I download the WIN32 API

    I recently had to restore my computer back to the way it came from the factory and lost everything. I don't know why, but I can't find a link anywhere to download the WIN32 API that I had before. If anybody can help me it would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks
    Neferkamichael

  2. #2
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,424
    Win32 API is a set of function calls you can make on any Win32 OS like WinXP, Win7

    You do not need to "download" it to use it, if you are running such OS.

    Maybe you mean Windows SDK?

    Or something else?
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  3. #3
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,169
    Whatever do you need to use Win32 API for?
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.
    For information on how to enable C++11 on your compiler, look here.
    よく聞くがいい!私は天才だからね! ^_^

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Bogalusa Louisiana
    Posts
    3
    Well maybe it wasn't WIN32 API but it was some kind of file that described how functions such as save file, menu bars, and numerous other functions used to make a window. It was very helpful.

  5. #5
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,169
    You should probably get a gui framework instead, such as Qt or wxWidgets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.
    For information on how to enable C++11 on your compiler, look here.
    よく聞くがいい!私は天才だからね! ^_^

  6. #6
    Registered User rogster001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Liverpool UK
    Posts
    1,403
    it was some kind of file
    ??? It certainly was not an API of any description then mate -sounds more like you have lost some kind of tutorial, or documentation on windows programming.

    Follow Elysia's advice - download a useful GUI library instead - the code:blocks IDE is written with wxWidgets, so that should give you an idea of where you can go with such tools.
    Thought for the day:
    "Are you sure your sanity chip is fully screwed in sir?" (Kryten)
    FLTK: "The most fun you can have with your clothes on."

    Stroustrup:
    "If I had thought of it and had some marketing sense every computer and just about any gadget would have had a little 'C++ Inside' sticker on it'"

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Win32 API, can it inFile and outFile, like Win32 console?
    By neutral87 in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-04-2013, 07:19 AM
  2. Win32 API, can it inFile and outFile, like Win32 console?
    By neutral87 in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-28-2013, 09:22 PM
  3. Win32 Console Application event handlers, or Win32 Project?
    By Joewbarber in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-29-2013, 07:02 AM
  4. lcc win32 compiler download problems
    By GanglyLamb in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-01-2004, 07:39 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21