Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Neo1

Some questions !!

This is a discussion on Some questions !! within the C++ Programming forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; well, i baught Alex eBook" Jumping into C++" and i want to spend time reading it; but i am wondering ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    14

    Some questions !!

    well, i baught Alex eBook" Jumping into C++" and i want to spend time reading it; but i am wondering about some isues:

    1) I want to use MSVC express edition IDE, instead of using code::blocks, is that a problem when i read that eBook" cuz it uses code::blocs to explain some examples"

    2) How much it takes to master C++ " master = write and understandany problem"

    3) is it enough to read that eBook? " tell others recomended if you know"

    Regards,

    iCoder

  2. #2
    Internet Superhero
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    964
    Quote Originally Posted by iCoder View Post
    well, i baught Alex eBook" Jumping into C++" and i want to spend time reading it; but i am wondering about some isues:

    1) I want to use MSVC express edition IDE, instead of using code::blocks, is that a problem when i read that eBook" cuz it uses code::blocs to explain some examples"
    If you don't mind me asking, why? Code::Blocks is a splendid IDE, and unlike MSVC it's cross-platform.

    2) How much it takes to master C++ " master = write and understandany problem"
    You could spend 10 years using C++ and still not be even close to mastering it. Learning to use it for basic problem solving doesn't take long, mastering it takes a lifetime.

    3) is it enough to read that eBook? " tell others recomended if you know"
    There are alot of good online tutorials out there to supplement your book, but i'd recommend this site, i use it as a reference/lookup for the STL, and i find it to be very helpful. Also this forum is great if you run into problems.
    iCoder likes this.
    How I need a drink, alcoholic in nature, after the heavy lectures involving quantum mechanics.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    14
    well, i don't want to use code::blocks cuz when you really use MSVC you will directly remove it from your PC, MSVC is better, and as i am on windows so it's better to use MSVC i think

    anyway; how can i read that book, and i am using MSVC

  4. #4
    Internet Superhero
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    964
    Quote Originally Posted by iCoder View Post
    well, i don't want to use code::blocks cuz when you really use MSVC you will directly remove it from your PC, MSVC is better, and as i am on windows so it's better to use MSVC i think
    Well i use Windows aswell, and i've used Code::Blocks for a long time, with no problems at all. I think MSVC is better if you're doing Windows specific stuff (MFC/Win32), but for anything else, i'd say they are completely equal, and since your book uses Code::Blocks, i don't see why you wouldn't use that.

    anyway; how can i read that book, and i am using MSVC
    The IDE that you're using shouldn't make that big of a difference, just read through it like you otherwise would, and just convert all the Code::Blocks specifics to MSVC as you go.
    The IDE is just a tool, the real challenge is learning C++.
    How I need a drink, alcoholic in nature, after the heavy lectures involving quantum mechanics.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo1 View Post
    The IDE is just a tool, the real challenge is learning C++.
    i like these words , btw was coding on code::blocks for 2 weeks then i google about which one is better, all what i got is that if i am using windows OS then MSVC is better, if cross-platform then code::blocks is better, so as i m on wind. 7 now i use MSVC

    So there is no problem reading alex eBook and using MSVC IDE, but this way evey single thing i must google it and search it to know how to do it on MSVC

    Thanks in advance

  6. #6
    Internet Superhero
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    964
    The book is about learning C++ (I presume?), not about learning how to use a specific IDE. MSVC can do anything that Code::Blocks can, it just does it in a different way. You could use notepad and a CLI and still use this book, it's all just different ways of doing the same things. The real problem is learning C++, so stop worrying about IDEs, they're just fancy text editors.

    As i said, i believe MSVC is the way to go if you're going to code something Windows specific, but if you use Code::Blocks with MingW and stick to cross-platform libraries, it will be a breeze to compile your programs on other platforms. Which platform you're running doesn't factor in at all, Code::Blocks runs fine on Windows.
    How I need a drink, alcoholic in nature, after the heavy lectures involving quantum mechanics.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo1 View Post
    The book is about learning C++ (I presume?), not about learning how to use a specific IDE. MSVC can do anything that Code::Blocks can, it just does it in a different way. You could use notepad and a CLI and still use this book, it's all just different ways of doing the same things. The real problem is learning C++, so stop worrying about IDEs, they're just fancy text editors.

    As i said, i believe MSVC is the way to go if you're going to code something Windows specific, but if you use Code::Blocks with MingW and stick to cross-platform libraries, it will be a breeze to compile your programs on other platforms. Which platform you're running doesn't factor in at all, Code::Blocks runs fine on Windows.
    i have both IDEs, and will use both but MSVC is in the top!

  8. #8
    C++ Witch laserlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    22,265
    Quote Originally Posted by iCoder
    3) is it enough to read that eBook? " tell others recomended if you know"
    Read and work through Accelerated C++.
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Version Control System: Bazaar

    Look up a C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by laserlight View Post
    Read and work through Accelerated C++.
    thanks, maybe after reading " Jumping into C++" i'll take a look om it
    btw: is there an e-copy from this book ?.. pdf ?

    Thanks

  10. #10
    Registered User manasij7479's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Kolkata@India
    Posts
    2,523
    Quote Originally Posted by iCoder View Post
    thanks, maybe after reading " Jumping into C++" i'll take a look om it
    Since they predictably introduce the same level of material... it'll just be a repetition.
    Manasij Mukherjee | gcc-4.9.2 @Arch Linux
    Slow and Steady wins the race... if and only if :
    1.None of the other participants are fast and steady.
    2.The fast and unsteady suddenly falls asleep while running !



  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by manasij7479 View Post
    Since they predictably introduce the same level of material... it'll just be a repetition.
    really?! the same both they are?

    so in short words, alex book is really worth to spend time on it ? ..time = money

    Thanks guys!

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. questions....so many questions about random numbers....
    By face_master in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-30-2009, 09:47 AM
  2. A few questions
    By Cell in forum C Programming
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-31-2009, 09:43 AM
  3. Questions
    By noyram08 in forum C Programming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-02-2006, 12:50 AM
  4. few questions..
    By BODYBUILDNERD in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-26-2002, 12:09 AM
  5. questions
    By kuwait in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-19-2002, 01:35 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21