Anyone with a Mac willing to compile a piece of code?

This is a discussion on Anyone with a Mac willing to compile a piece of code? within the C++ Programming forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; Sorry for the double thread, but I need someone willing to help me compile my code to create a Mac ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    55

    Anyone with a Mac willing to compile a piece of code?

    Sorry for the double thread, but I need someone willing to help me compile my code to create a Mac executable, it's a short C++ program so it won't take long, if anyone's interested just say so and I'll pm the code


  2. #2
    a_capitalist_story
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,655
    Why not just post it? Why PM it?

  3. #3
    Third Eye Babkockdood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    352
    Compiling code on a Mac is no different than compiling code on Linux or FreeBSD. Post the code.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    55
    Well, it's a school project, so I don't just wanna post it here, you never know if there are classmates around these forums . But it seems like someone's helping me out, I'll come back if I need any help, thanks!

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Coimbra, Portugal
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by thefeedinghand View Post
    Well, it's a school project, so I don't just wanna post it here, you never know if there are classmates around these forums . But it seems like someone's helping me out, I'll come back if I need any help, thanks!
    May I add that that isn't very nice? Even if we are really smarter than others, we shouldn't behave like that. The same is true if we are dumber.

    Sometimes, we shouldn't be too pesky about helping directly or indirectly. So what if they copied the code? It would be verifiable by this thread that you are the owner of the code. It wouldn't be 100% right, but it would be highly likely -- and I'm sure your partner would confess.

    Just my opinion -- nothing is objective.

    / OFFTOPIC

  6. #6
    Third Eye Babkockdood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    352
    Quote Originally Posted by thefeedinghand View Post
    Well, it's a school project, so I don't just wanna post it here, you never know if there are classmates around these forums . But it seems like someone's helping me out, I'll come back if I need any help, thanks!
    Dood, if any of your classmates were on here, they would be asking questions, not answering them. Most of the active members on this forum have lots of experience.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Coimbra, Portugal
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Babkockdood View Post
    Dood, if any of your classmates were on here, they would be asking questions, not answering them. Most of the active members on this forum have lots of experience.
    I think he meant that he was afraid that the classmates would copy his work...

  8. #8
    Password:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    587
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorl17 View Post
    May I add that that isn't very nice? Even if we are really smarter than others, we shouldn't behave like that. The same is true if we are dumber.

    Sometimes, we shouldn't be too pesky about helping directly or indirectly. So what if they copied the code? It would be verifiable by this thread that you are the owner of the code. It wouldn't be 100% right, but it would be highly likely -- and I'm sure your partner would confess.

    Just my opinion -- nothing is objective.

    / OFFTOPIC
    Those who allow copying are usually penalized the same as those who copied from them. By posting his assignment [solution], he would be "allowing" others to copy it.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Coimbra, Portugal
    Posts
    85
    That really depends, IMO.

    I think that's valid when in a classroom or when asked. He wasn't asked and he doesn't even know if they are here.

    What if he kept in a USB Flash Drive that was kept in an unsafe place and his colleagues found it? Wouldn't that be allowing?

    There are limits to things. Nobody, IMO, can blame a student for sharing ideas outside of the classroom -- read that share != allowing to copy.

    But I'm ending this discussion, it's getting too offtopic.

  10. #10
    Password:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    587
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorl17 View Post
    That really depends, IMO.

    I think that's valid when in a classroom or when asked. He wasn't asked and he doesn't even know if they are here.

    What if he kept in a USB Flash Drive that was kept in an unsafe place and his colleagues found it? Wouldn't that be allowing?

    There are limits to things. Nobody, IMO, can blame a student for sharing ideas outside of the classroom -- read that share != allowing to copy.

    But I'm ending this discussion, it's getting too offtopic.
    Accident != Intentional. A lost flash drive is an accident, intentionally posting the solution to an assignment is not. Although OP may not intend for a peer to copy it, he would still be neglecting his responsibility to not allow it to be copied. You said "IMO", that's your opinion, not his professor's/college's. Is it really worth gambling a 0, or even expulsion, on the assumption that his school will agree?

    Back on topic:
    A possible solution to OP's problem would be for a reputable member(100+ posts or a few sig. contributions) of the board to PM him, asking for his code to compile for him. Conducting this in privacy would eliminate negligence. Although there's still risk in that the reputable member MAY be a peer, it is extremely unlikely.
    Last edited by User Name:; 09-18-2010 at 09:43 PM. Reason: To point out the on topic part

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-18-2010, 09:45 PM
  2. open source code compile problems - modbus stack
    By noob in forum C Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-16-2009, 09:04 PM
  3. Compile time of C versus C++ code
    By circuitbreaker in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-06-2008, 06:26 PM
  4. why the code can compile -- about function pointer
    By George2 in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-20-2008, 03:25 AM
  5. Dostris (a complete game in 3 hours)
    By Jeremy G in forum Game Programming
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-30-2003, 03:17 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21