C++ api reference for download

This is a discussion on C++ api reference for download within the C++ Programming forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; After programming in java for a while,I am trying to learn c++. For java, there is this Sun's nice api ...

  1. #1
    and the hat of copycat stevesmithx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    507

    C++ api reference for download

    After programming in java for a while,I am trying to learn c++.
    For java, there is this Sun's nice api reference which is available for both online & offline reference.
    Java 2 Platform SE 5.0
    For c++, after a fair amount of googling, i found some online reference which looked good but couldn't find anything for offline reference.

    C++ Reference
    seems to be pretty comprehensive but unfortunately isn't available for download.
    Considering the slow internet connectivity around here, it would be nice to have an offline reference.
    Any recommendations would be much appreciated
    Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted
    - Albert Einstein.


    No programming language is perfect. There is not even a single best language; there are only languages well suited or perhaps poorly suited for particular purposes.
    - Herbert Mayer

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Black River
    Posts
    128
    I use STLport in all my compilers, so the closest thing to a reference guide is found here: SGI's STL (It has minimal documentation on iostreams, though).

    Otherwise, it appears that you can download the reference from libstdc++

  3. #3
    Malum in se abachler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,189
    Because there is so much more available for C/C++, that there is no way to compose a comprehensive single document that contains information about every library out there.

    There are easily 100 times more libraries availble for C/C++ than for java, probably more like 1000.

    Serious application developer's don't generally use java, thats just for web based or rad development stuff that doesn't have a lot of depth. For mission critical systems that are space/weight constrained and particularly for HPC, java is fail.
    Last edited by abachler; 12-02-2009 at 12:13 PM.
    Until you can build a working general purpose reprogrammable computer out of basic components from radio shack, you are not fit to call yourself a programmer in my presence. This is cwhizard, signing off.

  4. #4
    Dae
    Dae is offline
    Deprecated Dae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,034
    Quote Originally Posted by abachler View Post
    Because there is so much more available for C/C++, that there is no way to compose a comprehensive single document that contains information about every library out there.

    There are easily 100 times more libraries availble for C/C++ than for java, probably more like 1000.

    Serious application developer's don't generally use java, thats just for web based or rad development stuff that doesn't have a lot of depth. For mission critical systems that are space/weight constrained and particularly for HPC, java is fail.
    I don't like Java as much as the next guy, but that was some pretty randomly unnecessary bashing.

    He just wants a C++ STD/STL offline reference, not a reference for every C++ library.

    Sorry I just Google when I need information. I'll post links if I come across a downloadable copy of these C++ ref sites.

    If you use Windows, you might want to grab the MSDN. Maybe grab Bruce Eckel's C++ book/reference.
    Warning: Have doubt in anything I post.

    GCC 4.5, Boost 1.40, Code::Blocks 8.02, Ubuntu 9.10 010001000110000101100101

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,265
    Quote Originally Posted by abachler View Post
    Because there is so much more available for C/C++, that there is no way to compose a comprehensive single document that contains information about every library out there.

    There are easily 100 times more libraries availble for C/C++ than for java, probably more like 1000.

    Serious application developer's don't generally use java, thats just for web based or rad development stuff that doesn't have a lot of depth. For mission critical systems that are space/weight constrained and particularly for HPC, java is fail.
    Almost every single "fact" stated in this quote is false.

    At any rate, this online documentation is available for download here.
    bit∙hub [bit-huhb] n. A source and destination for information.

  6. #6
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    23,031
    Quote Originally Posted by abachler View Post
    Because there is so much more available for C/C++, that there is no way to compose a comprehensive single document that contains information about every library out there.

    There are easily 100 times more libraries availble for C/C++ than for java, probably more like 1000.

    Serious application developer's don't generally use java, thats just for web based or rad development stuff that doesn't have a lot of depth. For mission critical systems that are space/weight constrained and particularly for HPC, java is fail.
    I'd love it if it were true
    Java is fail. Very nice quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  7. #7
    and the hat of copycat stevesmithx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    507
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronix View Post
    I use STLport in all my compilers, so the closest thing to a reference guide is found here: SGI's STL (It has minimal documentation on iostreams, though).

    Otherwise, it appears that you can download the reference from libstdc++

    Quote Originally Posted by bithub View Post
    Almost every single "fact" stated in this quote is false.

    At any rate, this online documentation is available for download here.
    Thanks for the links, guys.
    Still I Wish there was an offline version of C++ Reference


    Quote Originally Posted by Dae View Post
    I don't like Java as much as the next guy, but that was some pretty randomly unnecessary bashing.

    He just wants a C++ STD/STL offline reference, not a reference for every C++ library.
    Exactly. C++ STD/STL is what i am after and not all the libraries in the world.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dae View Post
    Sorry I just Google when I need information. I'll post links if I come across a downloadable copy of these C++ ref sites.

    If you use Windows, you might want to grab the MSDN. Maybe grab Bruce Eckel's C++ book/reference.
    Okay. A book certainly would be helpful. But I am looking for something that allows to take a quick look at the syntax of the methods,classes,etc., which is why i cited the java api reference in my original post.
    Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted
    - Albert Einstein.


    No programming language is perfect. There is not even a single best language; there are only languages well suited or perhaps poorly suited for particular purposes.
    - Herbert Mayer

  8. #8
    C++ Witch laserlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    22,308
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesmithx
    Still I Wish there was an offline version of C++ Reference
    You could always download the source yourself... or write a program to do so

    Quote Originally Posted by stevesmithx
    C++ STD/STL is what i am after and not all the libraries in the world.
    You could download a publicly available draft version of the C++ standard, or purchase a PDF copy of a final version from the ANSI online store.
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Version Control System: Bazaar

    Look up a C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,590
    Quote Originally Posted by bithub View Post
    Almost every single "fact" stated in this quote is false.
    I disagree. It is a simple fact that java is slower than native code. At my job, I use a combination of NetBeans and Visual Studio 2008 for C++ development. The two are nearly identical in the features they offer, and NetBeans is MUCH slower, simply because of the fact that it does not run as native code. You can optimize all you want, but when you come right down to it, java is still just an interpreted language. As abachler said, nothing comes close to C++ (and other languages that compile directly to machine code) for high performance computing. Even .Net and Mono are better because the intermediate language (sort of like java bytecode) gets compiled to native machine code at load time.

    I can't speak to any of his statements about "serious application developers," but his remarks on the performance differences between C++ and java were bang-on. It's also true that there are many times more libraries for C/C++ than for java, simply by virtue of the fact that it has been around much longer.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-13-2011, 09:28 AM
  2. non-const reference and const reference
    By George2 in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-15-2007, 05:03 AM
  3. Screwy Linker Error - VC2005
    By Tonto in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-19-2007, 03:39 PM
  4. api reference material
    By eth0 in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-16-2006, 06:26 PM
  5. Textbox
    By maxorator in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-25-2005, 11:04 AM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21