which graphics library to choose

This is a discussion on which graphics library to choose within the C++ Programming forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; There is definitely a wide variety of graphics libraries for developing applications in gui. Which of them would you suggest ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    28

    which graphics library to choose

    There is definitely a wide variety of graphics libraries for developing applications in gui. Which of them would you suggest me to work with? Thank you.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    63
    It depends on what sort of graphics library we're talking about. If we're talking about 3D, you have a variety of choices, such as DirectX (Windows only) or OpenGL (cross platform) or SDL (which uses either DX or OGL depending on the system, IIRC).

    If you want to draw windows and such, I would go with Qt. It's cross platform and works rather well, in my opinion. I like their API.

    The whole thing is very subjective, though.

  3. #3
    Dae
    Dae is offline
    Deprecated Dae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,034
    I'd really suggest searching these forums for GUI library recommendations (or Google). It's such a common topic, I don't know how the old members can stand having to answer it over and over. I've went indepth a couple times. For applications my end recommendation was Qt, or C#, and inter-process communication.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zach_the_Lizard View Post
    If we're talking about 3D, you have a variety of choices, such as DirectX (Windows only) or OpenGL (cross platform) or SDL (which uses either DX or OGL depending on the system, IIRC).
    SDL uses either DX or OGL, but I believe only 2D, not 3D. It also seems to be more of a custom GUI choice - eg. game interfaces.
    Warning: Have doubt in anything I post.

    GCC 4.5, Boost 1.40, Code::Blocks 8.02, Ubuntu 9.10 010001000110000101100101

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Dae View Post
    SDL uses either DX or OGL, but I believe only 2D, not 3D. It also seems to be more of a custom GUI choice - eg. game interfaces.
    It's been a while since I've used SDL, back during the dark days when pointers were terrifying beasts that caused programs to crash, compiler errors were written by an alien race, and comments for later understanding were unnecessary. I remember it being 3d accelerated, but now that I think about it I don't recall any "3d" other than moving my cardboard cutouts in front or behind each other.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    28
    I was talking about windows forms and I would prefer the solution with the least runtime demands. This is why I tend to reject C#.

  6. #6
    a_capitalist_story
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,656
    Understand Windows Forms, you do not.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    37
    use openGL if your hardware can do opengl else use DX there is not really a diffrence to learn opengl is a litte bit easier i think, its just because i just know a littlebit of opengl and no DX i just viewd some examplefiles of DX and thought its much mor complicated than openGL so i strated to find out how opengl can be used. and well i try to get more expirence of opengl

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    28
    Is it possible in such cross-platform projects to link against Microsoft libraries and include its headers?

    Quote Originally Posted by rags_to_riches View Post
    Understand Windows Forms, you do not.
    How do you know what I understand?
    Last edited by heisel; 09-30-2009 at 07:02 AM.

  9. #9
    Ex scientia vera
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    478
    Quote Originally Posted by Dae View Post
    I'd really suggest searching these forums for GUI library recommendations (or Google). It's such a common topic, I don't know how the old members can stand having to answer it over and over. I've went indepth a couple times. For applications my end recommendation was Qt, or C#, and inter-process communication.



    SDL uses either DX or OGL, but I believe only 2D, not 3D. It also seems to be more of a custom GUI choice - eg. game interfaces.
    As far as I understand, you can use it along with either DX or OGL for accelerated 3d stuff.
    "What's up, Doc?"
    "'Up' is a relative concept. It has no intrinsic value."

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    28
    Help! I am struggling to configure it for MSVC 2008 and the procedure fails because of spaces in path of the latter!

  11. #11
    a_capitalist_story
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,656
    I was talking about windows forms and I would prefer the solution with the least runtime demands. This is why I tend to reject C#.
    How do you know what I understand?
    Windows Forms == .NET Framework
    C++ in .NET Framework: Compiles to IL and is interpreted by .NET Runtime
    C# in .NET Framework: Compiles to IL and is interpreted by .NET Runtime

    Essential difference between the two: NIL

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by rags_to_riches View Post
    Windows Forms == .NET Framework
    C++ in .NET Framework: Compiles to IL and is interpreted by .NET Runtime
    C# in .NET Framework: Compiles to IL and is interpreted by .NET Runtime

    Essential difference between the two: NIL
    By IL do you mean interpreted language?
    As you stated it, there is no difference between those two. And I don't confuse Windows forms with the .NET Framework, if this is what you imply at first.

  13. #13
    a_capitalist_story
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,656
    Apparently you DO confuse Windows Forms with the .NET Framework, and I'm just trying to educate you.

    Quote Originally Posted by heisel View Post
    I was talking about windows forms and I would prefer the solution with the least runtime demands. This is why I tend to reject C#.
    [emphasis mine]

    Like I said, Windows Forms == .NET Framework, and .NET Framework means no difference in "runtime demands" between C# and C++/CLI, as they are both compiled to CIL (common intermediate language) which is interpreted by the .NET Framework runtime library. You would therefore be rejecting C# out-of-hand based on misinformation.

    If you're not planning on using Windows Forms, than you need to look into something already mentioned, like QT, wxWidgets, MFC, or standard Win32 API calls. But searching for anything specific to "Windows Forms" will lead you to the .NET Framework, and to be honest, C# is much better suited for .NET Framework development than C++/CLI at this point.

  14. #14
    Dae
    Dae is offline
    Deprecated Dae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,034
    Quote Originally Posted by heisel View Post
    I was talking about windows forms
    When were you "talking about windows forms"? I don't see you talking about windows forms at all before you mentioning it in your 2nd post. I do understand what you mean about not choosing C#. Although I would suggest, if this is just a normal PC application, you forget about pre-optimization such as that and go with the best fitting choice. C# for just the GUI is absolutely fine. Worrying about runtime overhead before you've even done anything is pointless. Although, I still recommend Qt.

    Quote Originally Posted by rags_to_riches View Post
    Like I said, Windows Forms == .NET Framework, and .NET Framework means no difference in "runtime demands" between C# and C++/CLI, as they are both compiled to CIL (common intermediate language) which is interpreted by the .NET Framework runtime library. You would therefore be rejecting C# out-of-hand based on misinformation.

    If you're not planning on using Windows Forms, than you need to look into something already mentioned, like QT, wxWidgets, MFC, or standard Win32 API calls. But searching for anything specific to "Windows Forms" will lead you to the .NET Framework, and to be honest, C# is much better suited for .NET Framework development than C++/CLI at this point.
    You are very correct, but when was C++/CLI mentioned as an option? He meant he rejects C# (which would lead him to use Windows Forms) incomparison to Qt (which was mentioned), wxWidgets (which was not mentioned), SDL (which was mentioned), etc. which are all native C++.
    Warning: Have doubt in anything I post.

    GCC 4.5, Boost 1.40, Code::Blocks 8.02, Ubuntu 9.10 010001000110000101100101

  15. #15
    a_capitalist_story
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,656
    Sigh.

    Forum: C++ Programming.
    User: what graphics library to use?
    Responders: Ask for clarification, recommend 3-D/2-D graphics libraries
    User: "I was talking about Windows Forms...least runtime demands...reject C#"
    My inference from these facts: User wants to use C++ with the .NET Framework, i.e., C++/CLI, because of C# "runtime demands."

    I sought simply to disabuse this person of the notion that using C++ with the .NET Framework incurred a different set of "runtime demands" than that of C#, when in fact these things are -- for all intents and purposes -- the same.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. 2D Graphics Library
    By Evilpopcorn in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-13-2009, 02:00 AM
  2. HELP!!!!emergency ~expert please help
    By unknowppl in forum C Programming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-19-2008, 08:35 AM
  3. GD Graphics Library
    By Welder in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-01-2007, 07:46 PM
  4. Need some help choosing a good graphics library
    By dead_cell in forum Game Programming
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-08-2003, 01:30 PM
  5. Graphics library?
    By Paninaro in forum C Programming
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-24-2002, 09:35 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21