Header Files

This is a discussion on Header Files within the C++ Programming forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; Hello, As a beginner, I am finding it difficult to understand the function of header files, why they are used, ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    36

    Header Files

    Hello,

    As a beginner, I am finding it difficult to understand the function of header files, why they are used, and what you should include in them. I don't really know the difference between a .h file and a .cpp file.

    Suppose I have a class MyClass, with a member variable, int MyVariable, and a member function MyFunction. I could write this in a .h file:

    Code:
    class MyClass
    {
    int MyVariable;
    void MyFunction()
    {
    // Do something
    }
    };
    And if I #include this .h file at the beginning of my source code, then I can use this class with no problems.

    However, I have noticed that many projects will only put the decleration in the .h file, and the definition will appear in a .cpp file. What is the point in this? As far as I'm concerned, it just makes everything more dispersed and harder to follow.

    Other times, the definition is included in the .h file, as above, and this seems like the sensible way of going about it.

    Perhaps it is something to do with how the compiler interprets .h and .cpp files, but I don't really know what the difference is between them.

    Please help

  2. #2
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    when you want to use std::string are you interested to know how the c_str() function implemented?

    no - enogh to know that it is present and its prototype.

    headers contain info required to use the class from the external code - class definition and function prototypes.

    all the code that could be hidden from the user of the class and (for exaple) compiled in the lib-file provided with the header file to use on linkage stage - goes into cpp
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  3. #3
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,535
    While it will work with classes, it also does two things:
    It implies that all functions are inline.
    By storing the definition along with the declaration, you make it harder to browse the contents of the class, what members it exposes, etc.

    Aside from that, headers are used to keep declarations that the compiler needs to see when you want to use something - ie a class declaration. So that when you use the class, you simply include the file instead of re-writing the class declaration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Checking array for string
    By Ayreon in forum C Programming
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 03-09-2009, 03:25 PM
  2. #include header files or .cpp files?
    By DoctorX in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-23-2006, 11:21 AM
  3. classes and header files
    By Drake in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-30-2006, 06:12 PM
  4. Request for comments
    By Prelude in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-02-2004, 09:33 AM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21