HELP! Not sure how to?

This is a discussion on HELP! Not sure how to? within the C++ Programming forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; I have to make an if statement with int that are num1, num2, num3, num4, largest, smallest This is easy ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    83

    HELP! Not sure how to?

    I have to make an if statement with int that are num1, num2, num3, num4, largest, smallest

    This is easy but for some reason I can't figure it out by using an if statement. I can't remember how to do this? Could someone help me out? I am trying to make it look like this:

    Enter number 1: __
    Enter number 2: __
    Enter number 3: __
    Enter number 4: __

    The largest value entered was __
    The smallest value entered as __

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    83
    I have this because I am supposed to set num1 to largest and smallest. How would I do it from here:

    Code:
    #include <iostream>
    
    int main() {
      int num1, num2, num3, num4, largest, smallest;
    
     num1 = largest;
      num1 = smallest;
    and remember I have to do an if statement and I can't remember how to do it with an if statement.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    83
    This is my new code but I don't get it. It is giving me the largest and smallest as the same thing.

    Code:
    // CSE 1020  Lab 5  Keith Deitz  diddies708@yahoo.com  
    
    #include <iostream>
    
    int main() {
      double num1, num2, num3, num4, largest, smallest;
      
      cout << "CSE 1020  Lab 5  Keith Deitz  diddies708@yahoo.com" << endl 
           << endl;
      
      cout << "Enter number 1: ";
       cin >> num1;
      cout << "Enter number 2: ";
       cin >> num2;
      cout << "Enter number 3: ";
       cin >> num3;
      cout << "Enter number 1: ";
       cin >> num4;
      
      largest = num1;
      smallest = num2;
      
      if (num2 > largest) 
      
      largest = num2;
      
      else if (num2 < smallest)
      
      smallest = num2;
      
      else if (num3 > largest) 
      
      largest = num3;
      
      else if (num3 < smallest)
      
      smallest = num3;
      
      else if (num4 > largest) 
      
      largest = num4;
      
      else if (num4 < smallest)
      
      smallest = num4;
      
      
      
      cout << endl << "The largest value entered was "
           << largest << endl;
           
      cout << endl << "The smallest value entered was "
           << smallest << endl;
      
      return 0;
      }

  4. #4
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,424
    1.
    Code:
    cout << "Enter number 1: ";
       cin >> num4;
    should be "Enter number 4"

    2. smallest = num2;

    should be smallest = num1;

    3.

    Code:
    if (num2 > largest) 
      
      largest = num2;
      
      else if (num2 < smallest)
      
      smallest = num2;
      
      else if (num3 > largest) 
      
      largest = num3;
      
      else if (num3 < smallest)
      
      smallest = num3;
      
      else if (num4 > largest) 
      
      largest = num4;
      
      else if (num4 < smallest)
      
      smallest = num4;
    Red parts should be removed - numbres should be checked independently one from another
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21