Extracting BOOST and JAM libraries VS2005

This is a discussion on Extracting BOOST and JAM libraries VS2005 within the C++ Programming forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; Hi, downloaded the two zip files boost_1_36_0.zip & boost-jam-3.1.16 but searched and can't find a straight forward instruction on how ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    610

    Extracting BOOST and JAM libraries VS2005

    Hi, downloaded the two zip files boost_1_36_0.zip & boost-jam-3.1.16 but searched and can't find a straight forward instruction on how to install them .. Please help ...

  2. #2
    Frequently Quite Prolix dwks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,047
    Well . . . pretty much the same way you'd install any other library, I should imagine.
    Installation
    Boost does not yet have a standardized installation process. There has been some interest in developing one; as of this writing Bill Kempf has volunteered to coordinate and is gathering volunteers. If you have expertise in this area (particularly cross-platform expertise), and you would like to contribute, please announce your availability on the Boost Install mailing list.

    That said, preparing to use Boost in a development project is relatively straightforward. Most boost libraries are implemented entirely within their header files. The only preparation for their use is to add the boost root directory to your compiler's list of #include<...> search paths. For example, using Windows 2000, if you have unzipped release 1.28.0 from boost_all.zip into the top level directory of your C drive, adding '-Ic:/boost_1_28_0' to the command line of most compilers is sufficient.
    http://www-eleves-isia.cma.fr/docume.../download.html

    Basically, if you have a pre-compiled version, extract the archive, and either modify your project settings to use boost, or copy boost into your compiler's include/lib directories.

    If you downloaded the source version, you'll have to compile it first. That might be a bit harder, and will certainly take a long time. I suggested getting a pre-compiled version if possible.
    dwk

    Seek and ye shall find. quaere et invenies.

    "Simplicity does not precede complexity, but follows it." -- Alan Perlis
    "Testing can only prove the presence of bugs, not their absence." -- Edsger Dijkstra
    "The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing." -- John Powell


    Other boards: DaniWeb, TPS
    Unofficial Wiki FAQ: cpwiki.sf.net

    My website: http://dwks.theprogrammingsite.com/
    Projects: codeform, xuni, atlantis, nort, etc.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    610
    Quote Originally Posted by dwks View Post
    Well . . . pretty much the same way you'd install any other library, I should imagine.

    http://www-eleves-isia.cma.fr/docume.../download.html

    Basically, if you have a pre-compiled version, extract the archive, and either modify your project settings to use boost, or copy boost into your compiler's include/lib directories.

    If you downloaded the source version, you'll have to compile it first. That might be a bit harder, and will certainly take a long time. I suggested getting a pre-compiled version if possible.
    thing is i have boost and jam, which is which?

  4. #4
    Frequently Quite Prolix dwks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,047
    jam is the build system used to build boost, or so I gather. It will let you compile boost, if you downloaded the source form of boost. If not, you probably won't need it just yet (unless/until you start using jam yourself).

    One minute, I'm trying to download boost myself here so I can see what needs doing . . . .
    dwk

    Seek and ye shall find. quaere et invenies.

    "Simplicity does not precede complexity, but follows it." -- Alan Perlis
    "Testing can only prove the presence of bugs, not their absence." -- Edsger Dijkstra
    "The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing." -- John Powell


    Other boards: DaniWeb, TPS
    Unofficial Wiki FAQ: cpwiki.sf.net

    My website: http://dwks.theprogrammingsite.com/
    Projects: codeform, xuni, atlantis, nort, etc.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    610
    Boost has these folders : boost, doc, libs, more, people, status, tools, and wiki

    jam has build.bat which i think might be doing the job for me ...

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    610
    Quote Originally Posted by dwks View Post
    jam is the build system used to build boost, or so I gather. It will let you compile boost, if you downloaded the source form of boost. If not, you probably won't need it just yet (unless/until you start using jam yourself).

    One minute, I'm trying to download boost myself here so I can see what needs doing . . . .
    Appreciated, will await on you .. Or will check tomorrow ..

  7. #7
    Frequently Quite Prolix dwks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,047
    Try it, see what happens.

    [edit] Nah, don't wait until tomorrow . . . [/edit]
    dwk

    Seek and ye shall find. quaere et invenies.

    "Simplicity does not precede complexity, but follows it." -- Alan Perlis
    "Testing can only prove the presence of bugs, not their absence." -- Edsger Dijkstra
    "The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing." -- John Powell


    Other boards: DaniWeb, TPS
    Unofficial Wiki FAQ: cpwiki.sf.net

    My website: http://dwks.theprogrammingsite.com/
    Projects: codeform, xuni, atlantis, nort, etc.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    610
    Quote Originally Posted by dwks View Post
    Try it, see what happens.

    [edit] Nah, don't wait until tomorrow . . . [/edit]
    Still get the error : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'boost/regex.hpp': No such file or directory

  9. #9
    and the Hat of Guessing tabstop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    14,185
    And you get that error when you do what, exactly? Did you add the folders to your include path in your compiler/IDE?

  10. #10
    Frequently Quite Prolix dwks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,047
    You know the boost folder in the boost*.zip archive? Copy that into C:\Dev-C++\include, so that include\boost\regex.hpp exists. Assuming you're using Dev-C++. But it should be the same for most compilers. (Assuming the boost folder in question does actually contain a "regex.hpp".)

    I can't open the downloaded boost at the moment, unfortunately.
    dwk

    Seek and ye shall find. quaere et invenies.

    "Simplicity does not precede complexity, but follows it." -- Alan Perlis
    "Testing can only prove the presence of bugs, not their absence." -- Edsger Dijkstra
    "The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing." -- John Powell


    Other boards: DaniWeb, TPS
    Unofficial Wiki FAQ: cpwiki.sf.net

    My website: http://dwks.theprogrammingsite.com/
    Projects: codeform, xuni, atlantis, nort, etc.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    610
    Quote Originally Posted by dwks View Post
    You know the boost folder in the boost*.zip archive? Copy that into C:\Dev-C++\include, so that include\boost\regex.hpp exists. Assuming you're using Dev-C++. But it should be the same for most compilers. (Assuming the boost folder in question does actually contain a "regex.hpp".)

    I can't open the downloaded boost at the moment, unfortunately.
    There's not include folder, but a libs folder which contains many other folders ... which version did you download?

  12. #12
    Frequently Quite Prolix dwks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,047
    This version. http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ease_id=619445

    You don't want an "include" folder. You want to copy the "boost" folder in the boost archive into the "include" folder of your compiler. (I just checked, and it is indeed the folder you want.)
    dwk

    Seek and ye shall find. quaere et invenies.

    "Simplicity does not precede complexity, but follows it." -- Alan Perlis
    "Testing can only prove the presence of bugs, not their absence." -- Edsger Dijkstra
    "The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing." -- John Powell


    Other boards: DaniWeb, TPS
    Unofficial Wiki FAQ: cpwiki.sf.net

    My website: http://dwks.theprogrammingsite.com/
    Projects: codeform, xuni, atlantis, nort, etc.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    610
    Quote Originally Posted by dwks View Post
    This version. http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ease_id=619445

    You don't want an "include" folder. You want to copy the "boost" folder in the boost archive into the "include" folder of your compiler. (I just checked, and it is indeed the folder you want.)
    You mean copy everything from/inside but excluding the folder boost to the root f include? Boost contains many folders and .hpp files ..

    Oh! I copied bjam.exe to where i extracted boost files [root flder]. Ran the file, now its taking 7years to finish whatever its doing ..compiling and stuff

  14. #14
    Frequently Quite Prolix dwks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,047
    Well, that works too.

    What I and tabstop meant was to copy the boost folder itself, not the contents thereof, into the include directory. That way, include\boost\regex.hpp exists, as I mentioned. [edit] And all of the sub-directories of the boost folder, too. You want include\boost\random\* to exist, too. [/edit]

    You don't want to populate your include directory with dozens of boost files. It makes more sense to put all of the boost-related files in one directory, does it not?

    You'll probably end up copying the folder there, anyway. Unless you want to add a -I or whatever to your project options for every program that you write that uses boost . . . .
    dwk

    Seek and ye shall find. quaere et invenies.

    "Simplicity does not precede complexity, but follows it." -- Alan Perlis
    "Testing can only prove the presence of bugs, not their absence." -- Edsger Dijkstra
    "The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing." -- John Powell


    Other boards: DaniWeb, TPS
    Unofficial Wiki FAQ: cpwiki.sf.net

    My website: http://dwks.theprogrammingsite.com/
    Projects: codeform, xuni, atlantis, nort, etc.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    610
    Quote Originally Posted by dwks View Post
    Well, that works too.

    What I and tabstop meant was to copy the boost folder itself, not the contents thereof, into the include directory. That way, include\boost\regex.hpp exists, as I mentioned. [edit] And all of the sub-directories of the boost folder, too. You want include\boost\random\* to exist, too. [/edit]

    You don't want to populate your include directory with dozens of boost files. It makes more sense to put all of the boost-related files in one directory, does it not?

    You'll probably end up copying the folder there, anyway. Unless you want to add a -I or whatever to your project options for every program that you write that uses boost . . . .
    busy copying .... am dozing off, spent too much time on this today. Will return tomorrow

    Thnx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Why does boost jam build repeating libraries?
    By indigo0086 in forum Tech Board
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-30-2007, 06:35 AM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21