Accessing private Data members

This is a discussion on Accessing private Data members within the C++ Programming forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; I'm sure that the display member should not modify the contents of the object... so your display function should be ...

  1. #16
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    I'm sure that the display member should not modify the contents of the object... so your display function should be called something like corruptAndDisplay()
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  2. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    80
    Im really not getting what u mean? Are u saying that my member functions are changing the contents. Should I use & as like a reference?

  3. #18
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    I mean the function should do what the name suggests

    display function should display current contents and should not modify the object

    your function effectively modifies the object - so it is wrong on this state already

    declare it as a const and see the compilation errors you get
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. still confused with constructors and private data members
    By freddyvorhees in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-26-2008, 09:29 AM
  2. C# and SQL
    By siten0308 in forum C# Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-09-2008, 12:34 PM
  3. Using private class members in static functions
    By sethjackson in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-23-2005, 09:54 AM
  4. C diamonds and perls :)
    By Carlos in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-16-2003, 10:19 PM
  5. Warnings, warnings, warnings?
    By spentdome in forum C Programming
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-27-2002, 06:49 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21