strcmp help...

This is a discussion on strcmp help... within the C++ Programming forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; Hi, I've made a program to type out a bunch of text put into the char "sentence". one problem is ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    10

    strcmp help...

    Hi, I've made a program to type out a bunch of text put into the char "sentence". one problem is that the text won't fit to the window. Is there possibly a way to set borderlines for the text? if not then i need some help with strcmp. i have it so it takes the array number, and type it out. and if the array number character is a period, then it makes a new line but i get an error message saying "cannot convert char to const char*" or something.

    Code:
    /****
    Made by James, free for distribution.
    ****/
    
    #include <iostream>
    #include <cstring>
    using namespace std;
    
    int main()
    {
    	char sentence[4000]= "This is a test. It should've made a new line there but it didn't. plz help!";
    	int x;
    	for(x=0; x<=3999; x++)
    	{
                    if(strcmp(sentence[x],".") cout<<"\n";
    		cout<<sentence[x];
    	}
    	cin.get();
    	return(0);
    }
    any ideas?
    ~Wiiplayer12

  2. #2
    Just Lurking Dave_Sinkula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    5,006
    This is probably closer to what you are after:
    Code:
          if ( sentence[x] == '.') cout<<"\n";
    7. It is easier to write an incorrect program than understand a correct one.
    40. There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.*

  3. #3
    Jack of many languages Dino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    2,309
    Yes. You are using strcmp() and the first argument you are passing is not a string.
    Mac and Windows cross platform programmer. Ruby lover.

    Quote of the Day
    12/20: Mario F.:I never was, am not, and never will be, one to shut up in the face of something I think is fundamentally wrong.

    Amen brother!

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    10
    O, thank you so much dave!
    if anyone wants the working code, here it is:

    Code:
    /****
    Made by James, free for distribution.
    ****/
    
    #include "stdafx.h"
    #include <iostream>
    #include "windows.h"
    #include <cstring>
    using namespace std;
    
    int main()
    {
    	char sentence[4000]= "This is a test.hello.hi.It workS!!!1!.~Wiiplayer12";
    	int x;
    	for(x=0; x<=3999; x++)
    	{
    		cout<<sentence[x];
    		Sleep(50);
    		if(sentence[x]=='.'){
    			cout<<"\n";
    		}	
    	}
    	cin.get();
    	return(0);
    }
    ~Wiiplayer12

  5. #5
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    the working code
    Working? Even if it will scan the array outside your string bounds?
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Fucntion returns -1, Why?
    By Taper in forum C Programming
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-08-2008, 06:30 PM
  2. help with switch statement
    By agentsmith in forum C Programming
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-26-2008, 05:02 PM
  3. problem with strings
    By agentsmith in forum C Programming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-08-2008, 01:07 PM
  4. help with strcmp
    By blork_98 in forum C Programming
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-21-2006, 08:23 PM
  5. strcmp
    By kryonik in forum C Programming
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-11-2005, 12:04 PM

Tags for this Thread


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21