My array question

This is a discussion on My array question within the C++ Programming forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; to add one record to the vector you can use Code: struct Record { int index; std::string boy; std::string girl; ...

  1. #16
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    to add one record to the vector you can use
    Code:
    	struct Record
    	{
    		int index;
    		std::string boy;
    		std::string girl;
    	};
    
    	Record temp ={1,"Henry", "Wilma"};
    
    	std::vector<Record> list;
    	list.push_back(temp);
    
    	std::cout << list[0].index << " " << list[0].boy << " " << list[0].girl << std::endl;
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  2. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    28
    okay, so then after that i would need to have my

    Code:
    std::ifstream names_txt( "babynames2004.txt" );
    right?

    So would i use a loop to go through the vector or is there a different way since its a vector?

  3. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    28
    Is there a way to not use a vector and use an array? Im way to new to programming and i really dont understand vectors.

  4. #19
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    Is there a way to not use a vector and use an array?
    yes there is
    Im way to new to programming and i really dont understand vectors.
    that's why you should go with vector - there is a lot more ways to screw up with arrays, vector does all memory menagement for you
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  5. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    28
    Well basically i have a list with rank boy name and girl name.
    example line would be like
    1 Jacob Emily

    i want the user to enter a name, and it would display like

    name is rank 1 in boys
    name is not ranked in girls

    something like that, i couldn't even begin to work with a vector cause i have zero knowledge, i have been reading about them while posting here trying to understand, but im not sure if i even could, thats why i suggested arrays since ive have written a few basic programs with them. If i were to use vectors i would really need step by step advice. Which would be great if you are willing too

    If not i understand, and ill try to screw around with it using arrays and probably ask for advice about that here as well

  6. #21
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    I have shown a sample how you add value to vector
    to access element - there is no differens from array

    Code:
    	std::vector<int> arr;
    	arr.push_back(1);
    	arr.push_back(2);
    	arr.push_back(3);
    
    	for(std::vector<int>::size_type i = 0; i < arr.size(); i++)
    	{
    		std::cout << arr[i] << std::endl;
    	}
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  7. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    28
    Can you explain that line by line, im realyl having trouble understanding what is going on with what you are posting.

  8. #23
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    Code:
    std::vector<int> arr; //declare a vector of ints
    	arr.push_back(1); // add 1 to the vector's end
    	arr.push_back(2); // add 2 to the vector's end
    	arr.push_back(3); // add 3 to the vector's end
    
    	std::vector<int>::size_type i; // declare the index var to be of type returned by size() function
    
    	//size() function shows number of elements contained in the vector
    	for(i = 0; i < arr.size(); i++) // loop through all vector's elements
    	{
    		std::cout << arr[i] << std::endl; // print current element
    	}
    
    	//same loop could be done using iterators - search forum for samples
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  9. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    28
    Thanks for all you help vart, i got it all finished, using ideas you gave me on how to structure it. I didnt use vectors though. I thank you for your time and patience

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Dynamic Mutli dimensional Array question.
    By fatdunky in forum C Programming
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-22-2006, 07:07 PM
  2. Class Template Trouble
    By pliang in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-21-2005, 05:15 AM
  3. Unknown Memory Leak in Init() Function
    By CodeHacker in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-09-2004, 10:54 AM
  4. Quick question about SIGSEGV
    By Cikotic in forum C Programming
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-01-2004, 08:48 PM
  5. array question?
    By correlcj in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-08-2002, 06:27 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21