Emailing

This is a discussion on Emailing within the C++ Programming forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; If I have a .txt file I want to email the contents to say... A hotmail email address, how would ...

  1. #1
    Registered User bradszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    114

    Emailing

    If I have a .txt file I want to email the contents to say... A hotmail email address, how would I go about doing this?
    Google didn't help.
    OS: Windows XP Home Edition SP3, Windows 7 Ultimate Beta Build 7000
    LANGUAGES: C++, VB6
    SKILL: Novice/Intermediate

  2. #2
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    do you want to use the current user mail-client program and user credantials? or do you want to make all the work by your program itself? what user account you are planning to use as source address? Do you plan to send through SMTP server or Hotmail HTML mail server?
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  3. #3
    Registered User bradszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    114
    Just the email address defined in the source code.
    OS: Windows XP Home Edition SP3, Windows 7 Ultimate Beta Build 7000
    LANGUAGES: C++, VB6
    SKILL: Novice/Intermediate

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,170
    You have essentially two options:
    1. the easy way:
    use the system() function to call another program to send the email for you.

    2. the "right" way:
    either write your own implementation of SMTP, or link your program to a SMTP library to do this for you.

    What you are trying to do sounds more like a job for scripting languages.

  5. #5
    Registered User bradszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    114
    Oh
    Oh well, too bad I guess.
    OS: Windows XP Home Edition SP3, Windows 7 Ultimate Beta Build 7000
    LANGUAGES: C++, VB6
    SKILL: Novice/Intermediate

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. emailing - auto update of address book from .csv
    By henryzhang in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-04-2006, 06:34 AM
  2. Emailing executables
    By rjeff1804 in forum C Programming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-25-2004, 01:51 PM
  3. Emailing files
    By Donn in forum C Programming
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-18-2001, 01:10 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21