Help required in image filling program.

This is a discussion on Help required in image filling program. within the C Programming forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; Hello, The task is to print out a screen of pixels ' . ' and draw a circle using '*' ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5

    Question Help required in image filling program.

    Hello,
    The task is to print out a screen of pixels ' . ' and draw a circle using '*' and then fill it with '*' .
    My program does the first two task perfectly but there seems be a problem with the third part (filling) . Instead of filling only inside the figure it fills the whole screen.
    This program implements 8-connectivity algorithm , I have tried implementing 4-connectivity also but that too does'nt work. If I try printing a large screen then it simply then program simply exits with and error message.
    Please Help me with this . I am a beginner in C , so please be a little more descriptive while explaining solutions.

    THANKS

    #include <stdio.h>
    #include <string.h>
    #include <stdlib.h>
    #include <math.h>

    Code:
    struct screen
    {
    	int w;
    	int h;
    	char** mat;
    };
    
    void fill_2(struct screen* scr,int x,int y)
    {
    	int x1,xx,y1,yy ;
    	scr->mat[x][y] = '*' ;
    	for(xx = -1; xx <= 1; xx++)
    		for(yy = -1; yy<=1; yy++)
    		{
    			x1 = x + xx ;
    			y1 = y + yy ;
    			if((x1 >= 0) && (x1 < scr->w))
    				if((y1 >= 0) && (y1 < scr->h))
    					if(scr->mat[x1][y1] == '.')
    						fill_2(scr,x1,y1);
    		}
    }
    
    void draw_circle(struct screen* scr,int x,int y, int r)
    {
    	int deg = 0,i,j;
    	float th;
    	while(deg <= 360)
    	{
    		th = (3.14*deg)/180 ;
    		i  = x + r*cos(th) + 0.5 ;
    		j  = y + r*sin(th) + 0.5 ;
    		scr->mat[i][j] = '*' ;
    		deg = deg+5;
    	}
    }
    
    int main(void)
    {
    	int x,y,r,i,j;
    	struct screen scr;
    	printf("Enter screen width and height\n");
    	scanf("%d %d", &scr.w,&scr.h);
    	scr.mat = (char**)malloc(scr.h * sizeof(char*));
    	for(i=0; i < scr.h ; i++)
    		scr.mat[i] = (char*)malloc((scr.w + 1) * sizeof(char));
    	for(i=0 ; i < scr.h; i++)
    	{
    		for(j=0; j < scr.w; j++)
    			scr.mat[i][j] = '.' ;
    		scr.mat[i][scr.w] = '\0';
    	}
    	for(i=0; i < scr.h; i++)
    		printf("%s\n",scr.mat[i]);
    
    	printf("Enter circle centre and radius\n");
    	scanf("%d %d %d",&x,&y,&r);
    	draw_circle(&scr,x,y,r);
                    for(i=0; i < scr.h; i++)
    		printf("%s\n",scr.mat[i]);
    
    	printf("Enter cordinates\n");
    	scanf("%d %d",&x,&y);
    	fill_2(&scr,x,y);
                    for(i=0; i < scr.h; i++)
    		printf("%s\n",scr.mat[i]);
    	
    	return 0;
    }

  2. #2
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    Code:
    **.
    ..*
    ..*
    When you get to the red point
    you'll start checking all nighbors - getting to the blue which is outside the circle - and still you call the fill function for this point, and thus - fill all the area

    Probably - you need to check only 4 nighbors (up-down, left-right, instead of 8)
    Last edited by vart; 03-04-2008 at 01:45 PM.
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Problem reading tiff image files?
    By compz in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-30-2009, 04:17 AM
  2. image download program
    By yoda855 in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-30-2006, 11:37 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-03-2005, 02:52 AM
  4. fopen();
    By GanglyLamb in forum C Programming
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-03-2002, 11:39 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-10-2002, 04:16 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21