strings

This is a discussion on strings within the C Programming forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; how would i write a program that could read an unknown amount of lines from an external text file? where ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5

    strings

    how would i write a program that could read an unknown amount of lines from an external text file? where a string would read each line individually in a loop?

  2. #2
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    using
    while(fgets(...))
    loop
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5
    ok... sounds good but how would i get the while loop to stop?

  4. #4
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    have you read the fgets function description? It will return NULL when read fails - for example due to end-of-file condition. Thus while loop will end
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Strings Program
    By limergal in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-02-2006, 03:24 PM
  2. Programming using strings
    By jlu0418 in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-26-2006, 08:07 PM
  3. Reading strings input by the user...
    By Cmuppet in forum C Programming
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-21-2004, 07:37 AM
  4. damn strings
    By jmzl666 in forum C Programming
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-24-2002, 03:09 AM
  5. menus and strings
    By garycastillo in forum C Programming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-29-2002, 12:23 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21