.so files

This is a discussion on .so files within the C Programming forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; Hey, We have some .so files, am I right in thinking these are shared library files? If so is there ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5

    .so files

    Hey,

    We have some .so files, am I right in thinking these are shared library files? If so is there anyway to backward engineer them? The guy who developed them for the company has now left and we don't have the source. We want to rewrite some of the application in Java, but would rather not start from complete scratch!

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    probably it should be in linux or tech forum
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by vart View Post
    probably it should be in linux or tech forum
    This question should be? Are they not C files? I believe the original program was wrote in C.

  4. #4
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    libraries are not C-files. They are collections of object-modules. It is irrelevant in what language the soure code was written after compilation
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by vart View Post
    libraries are not C-files. They are collections of object-modules. It is irrelevant in what language the soure code was written after compilation
    Ah, sorry. So how would you decompile them? If at all!

  6. #6
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  7. #7
    and the hat of wrongness Salem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The edge of the known universe
    Posts
    32,672
    > am I right in thinking these are shared library files?
    Yes.

    > If so is there anyway to backward engineer them?
    No.
    Well you can, but the results are only the kind of code which a C compiler could love. It certainly won't be anything like the meaningful code which was written originally.

    > The guy who developed them for the company has now left and we don't have the source.
    I would suggest you conduct a very extensive and detailed search of your backups (you have backups right?)
    If you dance barefoot on the broken glass of undefined behaviour, you've got to expect the occasional cut.
    If at first you don't succeed, try writing your phone number on the exam paper.
    I support http://www.ukip.org/ as the first necessary step to a free Europe.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,246
    Tell your company to invest in source control to avoid this problem in the future.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Create Copies of Files
    By Kanshu in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-09-2009, 07:53 AM
  2. problem creating .so
    By k0k33 in forum C Programming
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-27-2009, 04:41 AM
  3. *.cpp and *.h files understanding
    By ElastoManiac in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-11-2006, 04:45 AM
  4. Linking header files, Source files and main program(Accel. C++)
    By Daniel Primed in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-17-2006, 10:46 AM
  5. Multiple Cpp Files
    By w4ck0z in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-14-2005, 01:41 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21