printing string from file

This is a discussion on printing string from file within the C Programming forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; I'm trying to print out a 16 by 17 character array that I've included from a text file. I am ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Iowa City
    Posts
    5

    printing string from file

    I'm trying to print out a 16 by 17 character array that I've included from a text file. I am able to open the file okay. However, instead of printing the character array, the program prints a series of smiley faces. Do you know how I can get my string to print? I appreciate any input. Thanks, Cynthia

    Code:
    char hor_wordsearch[17][17];
    char ver_wordsearch[16][17];
    int i=0,j=0;
    
    	FILE *myFile;
    	myFile = fopen("hor_wordsearch.txt", "r+");
    	if (myFile == NULL)
           {
    		printf("Unable to open hor_wordsearch.txt.\n");
    		return(-1);
    	}
    	printf("Opened hor_wordsearch.txt for reading.\n");
    	
        //I am able to open the text file without difficulty, but I'm having trouble initializing and printing my arrays
    for (i=0; i<16; ++i)
        {
        hor_wordsearch[i][16]= '\0';
        ver_wordsearch[i][16]= '\0';
        }
    while (!feof(myFile))
        {
        fgets(hor_wordsearch[i], 17, myFile);
        printf("%s", hor_wordsearch);
        }
    fclose(myFile);

  2. #2
    ZuK
    ZuK is offline
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    1,990
    Code:
    while (!feof(myFile))
        {
        fgets(hor_wordsearch[i], 17, myFile);
        printf("%s", hor_wordsearch);
        }
    Here you read each string into the same hor_wordsearch ( i never changes and is out of bounds )
    Kurt

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Iowa City
    Posts
    5
    I don't know how to fix it. Can you give me a hint. Does it involve i++?

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Iowa City
    Posts
    5
    I've revised the code:
    Code:
    while (!feof(myFile))
        {
        fgets(hor_wordsearch[i], 17, myFile);
        printf("&#37;s", hor_wordsearch[i]);
        }
    But I still need to increase i. I'm not sure how to do that.

  5. #5
    Dr Dipshi++ mike_g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    On me hyperplane
    Posts
    1,218
    You might find reading this useful.
    Last edited by mike_g; 07-15-2007 at 01:26 PM.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Iowa City
    Posts
    5
    Zuk and Mike, It works! Thanks so much for the help--I really appreciate it!

  7. #7
    ZuK
    ZuK is offline
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    1,990
    I would try something like this
    Code:
    i = 0
    while (fgets(hor_wordsearch[i], 17, myFile)) {
        printf("%s", hor_wordsearch[i]);
        ++i;
    }
    Kurt

  8. #8
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    I would write

    fgets(hor_wordsearch[i], sizeof hor_wordsearch[i], myFile)

    to avoid using magic numbers
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. OOP Question DB Access Wrapper Classes
    By digioz in forum C# Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-07-2008, 04:30 PM
  2. Inventory records
    By jsbeckton in forum C Programming
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-28-2007, 04:14 AM
  3. Post...
    By maxorator in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-11-2005, 08:39 AM
  4. Dikumud
    By maxorator in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-01-2005, 06:39 AM
  5. Linked List Help
    By CJ7Mudrover in forum C Programming
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-10-2004, 09:33 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21