max length of cmd args?

This is a discussion on max length of cmd args? within the C Programming forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; What is the maximum combined length of command line arguments including the space between adjacent arguments?...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    99

    max length of cmd args?

    What is the maximum combined length of command line arguments including the space between adjacent arguments?

  2. #2
    and the hat of wrongness Salem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The edge of the known universe
    Posts
    32,452
    Depends on your operating system and shell.
    If you dance barefoot on the broken glass of undefined behaviour, you've got to expect the occasional cut.
    If at first you don't succeed, try writing your phone number on the exam paper.
    I support http://www.ukip.org/ as the first necessary step to a free Europe.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    Depends on your operating system and shell.
    please specify both for XP and Linux

  4. #4
    and the hat of wrongness Salem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The edge of the known universe
    Posts
    32,452
    What happened to your own research?

    Why do I get the feeling you're just reading an online quiz and posting questions here?
    If you dance barefoot on the broken glass of undefined behaviour, you've got to expect the occasional cut.
    If at first you don't succeed, try writing your phone number on the exam paper.
    I support http://www.ukip.org/ as the first necessary step to a free Europe.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    What happened to your own research?

    Why do I get the feeling you're just reading an online quiz and posting questions here?
    I m posting questions, the answers to which i do not know and not able to get via Google Search

    With due respect, I expect Forum is also designed to cater the same purpose of solving problems by sharing knowledge

  6. #6
    and the hat of wrongness Salem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The edge of the known universe
    Posts
    32,452
    When you ask well over a dozen separate questions in 24 hours, you make it seem like you're just looking for quick ticks in a box, and not really learning anything at all.
    If you dance barefoot on the broken glass of undefined behaviour, you've got to expect the occasional cut.
    If at first you don't succeed, try writing your phone number on the exam paper.
    I support http://www.ukip.org/ as the first necessary step to a free Europe.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    When you ask well over a dozen separate questions in 24 hours, you make it seem like you're just looking for quick ticks in a box, and not really learning anything at all.
    no, i was not giving an online quiz, rather i was referring few of the 10-12 questions i had saved elsewhere, the answer to which i was always craving to find

    if u seem so perturbed over me, asking questions in C for which the forum is designed, u dont need to answer mine

  8. #8
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,473
    u dont need to answer mine
    In the first place - you don't need to ask one if you can get the answer by yourself
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. char Handling, probably typical newbie stuff
    By Neolyth in forum C Programming
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-21-2009, 04:05 AM
  2. Strange string behavior
    By jcafaro10 in forum C Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-07-2009, 07:38 PM
  3. Printing Length of Input and the Limited Input
    By dnguyen1022 in forum C Programming
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 11-29-2008, 03:13 PM
  4. Game of life
    By JoshR in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-03-2005, 02:17 PM
  5. Contest Results - May 27, 2002
    By ygfperson in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-18-2002, 01:27 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21