Run-Time Check Failure #2 - Stack around the variable 'novouser' was corrupted.

This is a discussion on Run-Time Check Failure #2 - Stack around the variable 'novouser' was corrupted. within the C Programming forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; hi! when i', running my C project it gives me this error: - Run-Time Check Failure #2 - Stack around ...

  1. #1
    Registered User IndioDoido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    194

    Run-Time Check Failure #2 - Stack around the variable 'novouser' was corrupted.

    hi!

    when i', running my C project it gives me this error:

    - Run-Time Check Failure #2 - Stack around the variable 'novouser' was corrupted.

    This error apears when i change my actual username for a new one. But if i say ignore on the error in the message box, the program continues and the new username is saved :-S

    ??
    "Artificial Intelligence usually beats natural stupidity."

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    8,868
    As you may know, the stack is that area that deals with parameter passing, amongst other things. IMO it's a serious warning, and definitely worth fixing.

    For anything more than general hints, you'll have to post up your code.

  3. #3
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    probably - you have a buffer that is not big enough to store the new name... You SHOULD fix this error.
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  4. #4
    and the hat of int overfl Salem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The edge of the known universe
    Posts
    32,820
    The compiler in debug mode has added padding around variables to detect when you overrun the allocated space.
    In a release build, you'll have no such safety net and a real hard crash could be mere moments away.

    vart is right, you need to fix this ASAP.
    If you dance barefoot on the broken glass of undefined behaviour, you've got to expect the occasional cut.
    If at first you don't succeed, try writing your phone number on the exam paper.
    I support http://www.ukip.org/ as the first necessary step to a free Europe.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. The Timing is incorret
    By Drew in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-28-2003, 05:57 PM
  2. inputting time in separate compilation
    By sameintheend01 in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-13-2003, 04:33 AM
  3. I apologize. Good bye.
    By doubleanti in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-03-2002, 07:51 PM
  4. Create class at run time
    By muaed in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-11-2002, 09:13 AM
  5. Stack functions as arrays instead of node pointers
    By sballew in forum C Programming
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-04-2001, 11:13 AM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21