Transferring text from file into linked list

This is a discussion on Transferring text from file into linked list within the C Programming forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; right i've done that now and it has solved the problem, which gives me another one. The pointer stored in ...

  1. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    60
    right i've done that now and it has solved the problem, which gives me another one.

    The pointer stored in root->next is the memory address of the next word which I know is correct, although it seems to think the pointer is null. why would this happen?

    Edit: it seems it does test the words but then doesn't seem to call the function again, what I want it to do is test whether or not the word entered by the user is in the list and how many times it occurs.

    Edit: Edit: it searches through the list now but seems to get a pointer error on the last node I think.
    Last edited by manutdfan; 01-18-2007 at 08:43 AM.

  2. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    60
    duh of course I get a pointer error as it is the start of the list, anyway it now seems to work although b should be the number of times a word occurs in the list and it doesn't always seem to be.

    Also is it possible to return both a and b from the same function?

  3. #33
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,456
    you can pass them by pointer
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  4. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    60
    thanks, I realised I only needed to transfer them back to print out so I have just incorporated the printf statements into the search function.

    Just wondering is it possible to condense the printf commands below anymore:
    Code:
            printf("\n'%s'", word);
            printf(" occurs ");
            printf("%d", b);
            printf(" times.\nRetrieval from list took");
            printf("%d",a);
            printf(" comparisons. ");

  5. #35
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,456
    printf("\n'%s' occurs %d times.\nRetrieval from list took %d comparisons.", word,b,a);
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  6. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    60
    I want to remove apostrophes from my text, but if I use the following statement it thinks there are too many as they are the initialiser for the query. How would I get round this? I was wondering whether it is possible to use ASCII code.

    x[b] == '''

    thanks

  7. #37
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,456
    you can use \" to print quote instead of the '
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  8. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    60
    so i should use

    x[b] == '\"'

    because it doesn't seem to work.

  9. #39
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,456
    i mean you can write
    Code:
    printf("\n\"%s\" occurs %d times.\nRetrieval from list took %d comparisons.", word,b,a);
    if you want to do something else - please explain a little bit more
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  10. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    60
    no sorry I am trying to remove all the apostrophes from my list so when it is searched they don't appear in words.

    so I was trying to compare each character in the list with an apostrophe to allow me to find and remove them.

    my attempt was x[b] == '''

    with the highlighted bit being the condition.

  11. #41
    {Jaxom,Imriel,Liam}'s Dad Kennedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,065
    You'd need an escape char with that. . . '\'' where the \ means the next char, if not a special char is litteral.

  12. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    60
    thanks, thats great it works now

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. help! Placement of nodes in a Linked List
    By lostmyshadow in forum C Programming
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-17-2007, 12:21 PM
  2. Dikumud
    By maxorator in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-01-2005, 06:39 AM
  3. struct question
    By caduardo21 in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-31-2005, 03:49 PM
  4. How can I traverse a huffman tree
    By carrja99 in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-28-2003, 05:46 PM
  5. Outputting String arrays in windows
    By Xterria in forum Game Programming
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-13-2001, 06:35 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21