compiler question

This is a discussion on compiler question within the C Programming forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; I'm new to all of this and don't understand all the compiler warnings and errors. What does " parse error ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    19

    Question compiler question

    I'm new to all of this and don't understand all the compiler warnings and errors.

    What does " parse error before `[' " mean?

  2. #2
    Code Goddess Prelude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    9,796
    >What does " parse error before `[' " mean?
    It means somewhere before (and including) the '[' character, you made a typo. I'll go out on a limb and guestimate that you meant '{' instead of '[', and that's your error.
    My best code is written with the delete key.

  3. #3
    Its hard... But im here swgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,475
    Unfortunatley, the somwhat cryptic error messages compilers generate is another spanner in the learning process of a new language. It's a shame the compiler vendors do not supply a list of all the error messages and their basic meanings. But that would discourauge further learning
    I'm just trying to be a better person - My Name Is Earl

  4. #4
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    Quote Originally Posted by swgh
    . It's a shame the compiler vendors do not supply a list of all the error messages and their basic meanings.
    some do
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/f69a8fb8.aspx

    Just look for the error code on msdn
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  5. #5
    Its hard... But im here swgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,475
    Oh yes, forgot about that. Microsoft Visual 2003 has an option called Error Lookup, is that the same thing? Ive never used it
    I'm just trying to be a better person - My Name Is Earl

  6. #6
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    Quote Originally Posted by swgh
    Oh yes, forgot about that. Microsoft Visual 2003 has an option called Error Lookup, is that the same thing? Ive never used it
    No it is not
    Error Lookup tool is for errors returned by functions or GetLastError function.
    It is in most cases equivalent to call of the FormatMessage. Of course you should know the module containing the error for calling it. ErrorLookup it seems to me looks through all knowen to it modules searching for the error code
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Question about compiler copying objects
    By Sharke in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-15-2009, 08:25 AM
  2. gcc compiler question
    By s_ny33 in forum C Programming
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-18-2005, 07:13 AM
  3. question about bool
    By ssharish2005 in forum C Programming
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-17-2005, 08:18 AM
  4. C/C++ Compiler Question
    By Unregistered in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-09-2002, 02:09 AM
  5. Question: Which Compiler????
    By MaBo in forum C Programming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-04-2002, 11:57 AM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21