Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By christop
  • 1 Post By Salem

Dev Cpp for Windows 8 (with graphics.h)

This is a discussion on Dev Cpp for Windows 8 (with graphics.h) within the C Programming forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; I have to use Dev-cpp for my Project.My operating system is Windows 8 pro. I downloaded 5.3.0.3 TDM-GCC x64 4.6.1 ...

  1. #1
    Registered User sh1dy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3

    Question Dev Cpp for Windows 8 (with graphics.h)

    I have to use Dev-cpp for my Project.My operating system is Windows 8 pro. I downloaded 5.3.0.3 TDM-GCC x64 4.6.1 Setup.It worked,I can compile an easy file(like print Hello World) but I want to use graphics.h function on devcpp.(Borland graphic interface). I did it on Windows 7.But now I got this error sstream: No such file or directory.. Thanks for replying

  2. #2
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    23,022
    Why do you need it? It's essentially outdated garbage.
    You should probably be using a modern UI library such as GTK, or something else entirely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  3. #3
    Registered User sh1dy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3
    I have an Project from university.They said that we have to use Dev C and BGI.I know it's a old garbage but It's not my choise

  4. #4
    Just kidding.... fnoyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Still in the egg
    Posts
    269
    You may want to have a look to

    WinBGIm - Borland BGI emulation for MingW

    Not sure if it will work with Win8. As per indicated in previous post, graphics.h is Borland dependent and quite outdated right now.

    If it is not mondatory for your application, you better consider using another UI lib.

  5. #5
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    23,022
    Quote Originally Posted by sh1dy View Post
    I have an Project from university.They said that we have to use Dev C and BGI.I know it's a old garbage but It's not my choise
    I see. Well, then it's not like you have much choice in the matter.
    Unfortunately, I know not much on the subject, so I am going to have to defer that to others and wish you luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  6. #6
    Registered User sh1dy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by fnoyan View Post
    You may want to have a look to
    WinBGIm - Borland BGI emulation for MingW
    I downloaded it before. I'm pretty sure I put the files on true path.I did it on Windows 7 with this rar files.. If it doesn't work I create virtual machine for this...

    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    I see. Well, then it's not like you have much choice in the matter.
    Unfortunately, I know not much on the subject, so I am going to have to defer that to others and wish you luck.
    Thank you

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Arizona, USA
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by sh1dy View Post
    But now I got this error sstream: No such file or directory.. Thanks for replying
    I don't know about the graphics stuff, but this error looks like you're compiling C++ code as C. sstream is a C++ header.
    stahta01 likes this.

  8. #8
    and the hat of int overfl Salem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The edge of the known universe
    Posts
    32,851
    > I have an Project from university.They said that we have to use Dev C and BGI
    If they insist on teaching this obsolete junk, then go and pester them for technical support.

    While you're doing that, also ask them how learning about 20+year old compilers prepares you for a life outside of university.
    TurboC(DOS) -> Win3, Win95, Win98, WinME, WinNT, Win2K, WinXP, WinVista, Win7, Win8
    manasij7479 likes this.
    If you dance barefoot on the broken glass of undefined behaviour, you've got to expect the occasional cut.
    If at first you don't succeed, try writing your phone number on the exam paper.
    I support http://www.ukip.org/ as the first necessary step to a free Europe.

  9. #9
    Just kidding.... fnoyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Still in the egg
    Posts
    269
    If you are really dependent on Turbo C, go for any virtualization solution (i would suggest virtualbox) and compile/run your code there.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Arizona, USA
    Posts
    383
    Or DOSbox, which has a free DOS system pre-installed.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Graphics under Windows in C.
    By yugal0007 in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-03-2009, 01:17 PM
  2. Windows GDI graphics - help pls!
    By Gamemaniac in forum Game Programming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-23-2005, 01:26 PM
  3. BGI Graphics in Windows API
    By AtomRiot in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-29-2003, 06:32 PM
  4. Windows Graphics Library?
    By drdroid in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-09-2002, 08:46 PM
  5. Windows Graphics
    By Neandrake in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-16-2002, 05:25 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21