Exam question help

This is a discussion on Exam question help within the C Programming forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; Originally Posted by claudiu No, I "can't please that in proper English". Maybe you can. Anyway, stop avoiding the question. ...

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by claudiu View Post
    No, I "can't please that in proper English". Maybe you can.

    Anyway, stop avoiding the question. What type of "value" does a void * point to, according to your interpretation?
    No. You made an assertion, and now I'm asking you to back it up.

  2. #62
    spurious conceit MK27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    segmentation fault
    Posts
    8,300
    Quote Originally Posted by claudiu View Post
    Yes, that's chapter 5 line 1 of the original K&D book.
    Well.
    C programming resources:
    GNU C Function and Macro Index -- glibc reference manual
    The C Book -- nice online learner guide
    Current ISO draft standard
    CCAN -- new CPAN like open source library repository
    3 (different) GNU debugger tutorials: #1 -- #2 -- #3
    cpwiki -- our wiki on sourceforge

  3. #63
    Registered User claudiu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,094
    Quote Originally Posted by Overworked_PhD View Post
    No. You made an assertion, and now I'm asking you to back it up.
    What assertion would that be? I make many assertions which go against the fictional C language you know.
    1. Get rid of gets(). Never ever ever use it again. Replace it with fgets() and use that instead.
    2. Get rid of void main and replace it with int main(void) and return 0 at the end of the function.
    3. Get rid of conio.h and other antiquated DOS crap headers.
    4. Don't cast the return value of malloc, even if you always always always make sure that stdlib.h is included.

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by claudiu View Post
    What assertion would that be? I make many assertions which go against the fictional C language you know.
    You made the following statements

    First, don't call him Eric. As I said before, he is not your buddy. Secondly, the ANSI standard doesn't define a pointer as a data type not holding an address.
    Now, for the second time, I'm asking you to back up this claim by citing the passages in ANSI/ISO C that explicitly state that a pointer must hold an address.

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by MK27 View Post
    Well.
    K & D is part of claudiu's version of C.

  6. #66
    Registered User claudiu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,094
    Quote Originally Posted by Overworked_PhD View Post
    You made the following statements



    Now, for the second time, I'm asking you to back up this claim by citing the passages in ANSI/ISO C that explicitly state that a pointer must hold an address.
    Dude you must be really retarded. do you even know what ANSI/ISO C is?
    1. Get rid of gets(). Never ever ever use it again. Replace it with fgets() and use that instead.
    2. Get rid of void main and replace it with int main(void) and return 0 at the end of the function.
    3. Get rid of conio.h and other antiquated DOS crap headers.
    4. Don't cast the return value of malloc, even if you always always always make sure that stdlib.h is included.

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by claudiu View Post
    Dude you must be really retarded. do you even know what ANSI/ISO C is?
    Quit side stepping the issue. Can you or can you not cite the exact passages to back up your claims?

  8. #68
    Registered User claudiu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,094
    No I can't quote it because I am not even going to bother searching for it. You know why? Because a pointer is a data type that HOLDS AN ADDRESS you idiot! Read my lips: Pointer = addres. Did you catch that yet?
    1. Get rid of gets(). Never ever ever use it again. Replace it with fgets() and use that instead.
    2. Get rid of void main and replace it with int main(void) and return 0 at the end of the function.
    3. Get rid of conio.h and other antiquated DOS crap headers.
    4. Don't cast the return value of malloc, even if you always always always make sure that stdlib.h is included.

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by claudiu View Post
    No I can't quote it because I am not even going to bother searching for it. You know why? Because a pointer is a data type that HOLDS AN ADDRESS you idiot! Read my lips: Pointer = addres. Did you catch that yet?
    I can't find anything that says a pointer must hold an address. So in other words, all you are doing is making baseless claims. Ie, you can't provide any solid facts to back up your assertions. So either put up or shut up.

  10. #70
    Registered User claudiu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,094
    Quote Originally Posted by Overworked_PhD View Post
    I can't find anything that says a pointer must hold an address. So in other words, all you are doing is making baseless claims. Ie, you can't provide any solid facts to back up your assertions. So either put up or shut up.
    I am not going to provide any evidence to my claims because I will get you into a bad habit of asking for evidence for VERY OBVIOUS THINGS like why 1+1 equals 2 in base 10. So why don't you prove me wrong instead? Give me a pointer that doesn't hold an address and I will believe you. Until then, you remain the same impotent C programmer I've known.
    1. Get rid of gets(). Never ever ever use it again. Replace it with fgets() and use that instead.
    2. Get rid of void main and replace it with int main(void) and return 0 at the end of the function.
    3. Get rid of conio.h and other antiquated DOS crap headers.
    4. Don't cast the return value of malloc, even if you always always always make sure that stdlib.h is included.

  11. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    329
    And for people like laserlight and MK27, please don't help this guy out. Let this guy do his own homework.

  12. #72
    ATH0 quzah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    14,826
    You claim some fictitiously usenet post, that you don't actually cite, and hold that as a credible source, but discredit probably THE most popular C book, choosing to believe your fake ass usenet post by someone less known than the authors of said book.

    Nice job, troll. Let's make the ban permanent this time, since you add nothing of value to any conversation, and continually try to hijack newbie threads to confuse them.


    Quzah.
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

  13. #73
    Registered User claudiu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,094
    Quote Originally Posted by Overworked_PhD View Post
    And for people like laserlight and MK27, please don't help this guy out. Let this guy do his own homework.
    You are the only person here in need of help. And I'm not referring to C here, but rather professional psychiatric help.
    1. Get rid of gets(). Never ever ever use it again. Replace it with fgets() and use that instead.
    2. Get rid of void main and replace it with int main(void) and return 0 at the end of the function.
    3. Get rid of conio.h and other antiquated DOS crap headers.
    4. Don't cast the return value of malloc, even if you always always always make sure that stdlib.h is included.

  14. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by claudiu View Post
    I am not going to provide any evidence to my claims because I will get you into a bad habit of asking for evidence for VERY OBVIOUS THINGS like why 1+1 equals 2 in base 10. So why don't you prove me wrong instead? Give me a pointer that doesn't hold an address and I will believe you. Until then, you remain the same impotent C programmer I've known.
    You are the one that stated I was wrong. So now I'm asking you to prove it. God. Not only are you annoying, but quite frankly, you aren't that bright.

  15. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by claudiu View Post
    You are the only person here in need of help. And I'm not referring to C here, but rather professional psychiatric help.
    How hard is it to try and prove me wrong? I mean, the only thing that you seem to be good at is arguing with people.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. another do while question
    By kbpsu in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-23-2009, 12:14 PM
  2. opengl DC question
    By SAMSAM in forum Game Programming
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-26-2003, 08:22 PM
  3. sort problem for an exam
    By rjeff1804 in forum C Programming
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-12-2003, 09:33 PM
  4. another exam question
    By rjeff1804 in forum C Programming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-12-2003, 09:29 PM
  5. The AP Exam.....
    By RoD in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 02-10-2003, 08:46 PM

Tags for this Thread


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21