How do u call a function?

This is a discussion on How do u call a function? within the C Programming forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; I dont know how to call a function! The books just explains but it doesnt show an example. Can someone ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    99

    How do u call a function?

    I dont know how to call a function! The books just explains but it doesnt show an example. Can someone show me a example or examples?

  2. #2
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    Quote Originally Posted by jturner38 View Post
    I dont know how to call a function! The books just explains but it doesnt show an example. Can someone show me a example or examples?
    printf("Hello, this is a call to function printf");
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    99
    How would that call a function? I just told u what im tryin to learn to do. How do u call a function? Like say u have a problem. U do a program. After u have return 0; then u have another function after it. Then u want those results in your main function. Well u have to call it in your main function. How do u do that?

  4. #4
    C++ Witch laserlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    21,889
    Quote Originally Posted by jturner38
    How would that call a function?
    That is an example of a call to the printf function.

    Quote Originally Posted by jturner38
    Like say u have a problem. U do a program. After u have return 0; then u have another function after it. Then u want those results in your main function. Well u have to call it in your main function. How do u do that?
    If your function is named f and takes no arguments, then you would write:
    Code:
    f();
    If it returns some value that you wish to assign to a variable x, then you would write:
    Code:
    x = f();
    Also, I am assuming that you mean to say that you defined a function after your main function. If so, you should declare a prototype for your function before the point where you define your main function. If you mean to say that you want to call a function after returning 0 from the main function, then that would be wrong, since your function call would be unreachable.
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Version Control System: Bazaar

    Look up a C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    375
    Quote Originally Posted by jturner38 View Post
    I dont know how to call a function! The books just explains but it doesnt show an example. Can someone show me a example or examples?
    Example:

    Code:
    #include <stdio.h> /* Standard I/O header */
    
    
    int AddNums( int , int  ); 
    /* Function Declaration, AddNums is called in main, which is before the AddNums function so function is declared here */
    
    
    int main(void)
    {
             int answer1; /* Variable to hold an answer */
             int answer2; /* Same as above */
    
             answer1 = AddNums( 123, 321 ); /* Call to AddNums, will add 123 and 321 (just random numbers I thought of) and put result in answer1*/
    
             answer2 = AddNums( 789, 987 ); /* Another call to AddNums, will add 789 and 987 */
    
             printf("Answer1 = %d\nAnswer2 = %d", answer1, answer2); /* Will print values of answer1 and answer 2 */
    
             return 0;
    }
    
    
    /* AddNums Function, takes in two numbers, adds them together and returns result*/
    int AddNums( int a, int b )
    {
            return a + b; /* Return the sum of a and b */
    }

  6. #6
    Woof, woof! zacs7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,459
    "How do you add two numbers together?"

    Asking a series of infinite questions within the same class as that, is no way to learn C. Does your book not explain these things?

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Compiling sample DarkGDK Program
    By Phyxashun in forum Game Programming
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-27-2009, 02:07 AM
  2. Seg Fault in Compare Function
    By tytelizgal in forum C Programming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-25-2008, 03:06 PM
  3. Troubleshooting Input Function
    By SiliconHobo in forum C Programming
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-05-2007, 06:18 AM
  4. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-16-2006, 11:35 PM
  5. Please Help - Problem with Compilers
    By toonlover in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-23-2005, 10:03 AM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21