question about strcmp

This is a discussion on question about strcmp within the C Programming forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; Well strcmp was alawys confusing me because sometimes i see codes where if(strcmp(buffer,"BLA")==0) or if(strcmp(buffer,"BLA")!=0); i wanted to ask what ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    183

    question about strcmp

    Well strcmp was alawys confusing me because sometimes i see codes where if(strcmp(buffer,"BLA")==0) or if(strcmp(buffer,"BLA")!=0); i wanted to ask what strcmp return on true and on false coz i alawys tried have to alawys make 2 in my functions to chk if its right or wrong pls help thanks. PS(I Know this is so stupid question).

  2. #2
    Algorithm Dissector iMalc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    6,300
    I typed strcmp into google, and this was the top search result:
    http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/c...ng/strcmp.html

    Returns an integral value indicating the relationship between the strings:
    A zero value indicates that both strings are equal.
    A value greater than zero indicates that the first character that does not match has a greater value in str1 than in str2; And a value less than zero indicates the opposite.
    So seriously, STFW!!!
    My homepage
    Advice: Take only as directed - If symptoms persist, please see your debugger

    Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"

  3. #3
    and the hat of sweating
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    3,545
    Quote Originally Posted by iMalc View Post
    So seriously, STFW!!!
    That's an interesting twist on RTFM.
    "I am probably the laziest programmer on the planet, a fact with which anyone who has ever seen my code will agree." - esbo, 11/15/2008

    "the internet is a scary place to be thats why i dont use it much." - billet, 03/17/2010

  4. #4
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjust View Post
    That's an interesting twist on RTFM.
    Why do you think so? They have only 2 words in common.
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. another do while question
    By kbpsu in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-23-2009, 12:14 PM
  2. problem with strings
    By agentsmith in forum C Programming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-08-2008, 12:07 PM
  3. strcmp
    By kryonik in forum C Programming
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-11-2005, 11:04 AM
  4. Question...
    By TechWins in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-28-2003, 09:47 PM
  5. opengl DC question
    By SAMSAM in forum Game Programming
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-26-2003, 08:22 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21