What is the purpose of C?

This is a discussion on What is the purpose of C? within the C Programming forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; I was wondering if C is just meant for communication and processing information. I wonder this because i don't see ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1

    What is the purpose of C?

    I was wondering if C is just meant for communication and processing information. I wonder this because i don't see much material about making GUIs and such.

    So in a box "What is the purpose of C"

  2. #2
    Registered User whiteflags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7,627
    There are libraries available depending on what you want to do... here are some:
    http://www.atai.org/guitool/

    If you haven't worked with GUI programming before, I recommend getting that experience in another language, though. It would be easier to cross over from there.

  3. #3
    C++ Witch laserlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    21,409
    Quote Originally Posted by Davez69gto
    So in a box "What is the purpose of C"
    C is a general purpose programming language.

    Quote Originally Posted by Davez69gto
    I wonder this because i don't see much material about making GUIs and such.
    You might not have searched hard enough. For example, the Windows API provides a C interface, as does the cross platform GUI library GTK+.
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Version Control System: Bazaar

    Look up a C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    115
    C is originally created to build operating system but since has been popular it's been used as well to create applications.

  5. #5
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,471
    And there are a lot of langugages where creating GUI is a lot easier than in C

    So nothing prevents from choosing one of this languages to write a GUI part, while the engine will be written in C
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    2,047
    C == Portable Assembly Language
    ...so in a nutshell C is your PAL

  7. #7
    Kernel hacker
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Farncombe, Surrey, England
    Posts
    15,677
    Quote Originally Posted by itCbitC View Post
    C == Portable Assembly Language
    ...so in a nutshell C is your PAL
    Actually, it's a lot higher level than that. Languages like Bliss and B are much closer to assembly language.

    --
    Mats
    Compilers can produce warnings - make the compiler programmers happy: Use them!
    Please don't PM me for help - and no, I don't do help over instant messengers.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    2,047
    C is the "new B" plus the preprocessor; the next step in the evolutionary process esp. since B is hardly used which in turn came from BCPL.

  9. #9
    Code Goddess Prelude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    9,796
    >C is the "new B" plus the preprocessor
    There are a few minor additions besides the preprocessor.
    My best code is written with the delete key.

  10. #10
    Kernel hacker
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Farncombe, Surrey, England
    Posts
    15,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Prelude View Post
    >C is the "new B" plus the preprocessor
    There are a few minor additions besides the preprocessor.
    For instance types other than "integer"/"pointer".

    --
    Mats
    Compilers can produce warnings - make the compiler programmers happy: Use them!
    Please don't PM me for help - and no, I don't do help over instant messengers.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. State Manager
    By Dark_Phoenix in forum Game Programming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-25-2007, 09:18 AM
  2. Purpose of Operator Overloading
    By xmltorrent in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-09-2006, 06:23 PM
  3. My purpose, what do I do?
    By jaylc185 in forum Game Programming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-25-2005, 10:15 AM
  4. Purpose of Overloading Operators
    By luckygold6 in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-28-2003, 08:14 PM
  5. Contest Results - May 27, 2002
    By ygfperson in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-18-2002, 01:27 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21