save file as

This is a discussion on save file as within the C Programming forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; im having a simple problem in C. i am trying to prompt the user to enter a file name to ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    71

    save file as

    im having a simple problem in C. i am trying to prompt the user to enter a file name to save as. the only problem is i only know how to open an existing file and write onto that. i want to be able to take in info and save it as whatever the user wants it to be called. the same thing with loading. how do i do this?

  2. #2
    and the Hat of Guessing tabstop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    14,185
    Quote Originally Posted by vidioholic View Post
    the only problem is i only know how to open an existing file and write onto that. i want to be able to take in info and save it as whatever the user wants it to be called. the same thing with loading. how do i do this?
    You say that as though there is a difference. There is not.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    71
    im doing it like this:

    printf("Enter a file name to save as:\t");
    scanf("%s", &newfile);
    fout = fopen("filename.txt" ,"w");
    fclose (fout);

    the problem is i dont know how to get the new file name to replace the filename i already have or to just create a new file all together named after whatever the user chooses.

  4. #4
    and the Hat of Guessing tabstop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    14,185
    And why didn't you even try fopen(newfile, "w")?

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    71
    i think i figured it out:

    Code:
        
    printf("Enter a file name to save as:\t");
        scanf("%s", &filename);
        fout = fopen(filename, "w");
        fclose (fout);
    this is the way to do it right?

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    71
    oh lol well now i tried it. the problem was i thought there had to be something in quotes so i was even tring
    Code:
     fopen("%s", filename,"w");
    but obviously that was wrong. im still new at this whole thing as you can tell. thanx for your help though. ill post again some time soon most likely

  7. #7
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,473
    scanf("%s", &filename);
    if filename is char-array - you do not need the & here
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Save a file with a name in a variable?
    By guriwashere in forum C Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-01-2009, 04:03 PM
  2. Need Help Fixing My C Program. Deals with File I/O
    By Matus in forum C Programming
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-29-2008, 07:51 PM
  3. Post...
    By maxorator in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-11-2005, 08:39 AM
  4. Ask user to save file before exiting.
    By Bajanine in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-15-2004, 05:34 PM
  5. archive format
    By Nor in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-05-2003, 07:01 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21