Reading doubles from text file

This is a discussion on Reading doubles from text file within the C Programming forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; Ok so I have some code: Code: void loadBuildingImagesInfo() { int count, number; double numbertest; FILE *infile; infile = fopen("BuildingImages.txt", ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2

    Angry Reading doubles from text file

    Ok so I have some code:

    Code:
    void loadBuildingImagesInfo()
    {
    	int count, number;
    	double numbertest;
    	FILE *infile;
    	infile = fopen("BuildingImages.txt", "r");
    	for(count = 0; count < 16; count++)
    	{
    		for(number = 0; number < 32; number++)
    		{
    			fscanf(infile, "%f", &numbertest);
    			printf("%f - ", numbertest);
    			buildingImages[count][number] = numbertest;
    		}
    	}
    }
    In the textfile I have:
    0.55 0.085 0.55 0.16 0.71 0.16

    (this is just a few, having 512 numbers on this post is a bit absurd)

    However, I cannot seem to get these numbers out, I tried print whats being read out, to test, and its just displaying some random long negative number, this is the first one:

    -92559604195412477000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000000.000000

    I have no idea how to go about this. both the array is a double and so is numbertest. so not sure. I have tried changing the %f to things like %1.2f etc. but no difference,

    Thanks

  2. #2
    and the Hat of Guessing tabstop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    14,185
    It is not possible to read a double with scanf using %f. Fortunately, it is possible using %lf.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by tabstop View Post
    It is not possible to read a double with scanf using %f. Fortunately, it is possible using %lf.
    Ooooo Thanks, never been taught that!

  4. #4
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    never been taught that!
    It is time to learn using C-reference... for example msdn
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...hh(VS.71).aspx
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...9d(VS.71).aspx
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Inventory records
    By jsbeckton in forum C Programming
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-28-2007, 04:14 AM
  2. C++ std routines
    By siavoshkc in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 07-28-2006, 12:13 AM
  3. Reading Character at a time from a text file
    By Giania in forum C Programming
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-25-2006, 02:17 PM
  4. struct question
    By caduardo21 in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-31-2005, 03:49 PM
  5. reading from a text file help......
    By jodders in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-25-2005, 11:51 AM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21