ANSI C IDE for WINDOWS 64-bit

This is a discussion on ANSI C IDE for WINDOWS 64-bit within the C Programming forums, part of the General Programming Boards category; I need a ANSI C IDE for Windows 64-bit computer. I need it to be straight C, not some bizarre ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3

    Question ANSI C IDE for WINDOWS 64-bit

    I need a ANSI C IDE for Windows 64-bit computer.
    I need it to be straight C, not some bizarre version or just C++, I also need to be able to create project integrating OpenGL and run it on a 64-bit platform.
    Does such an IDE exist, or am I going to have to go back to CodeWarrior on my ghetto Mac?

    If there is no such thing... I guess I could install Linux on my 64 bit comp... I really don't want to though.

    And of course, free=better.

  2. #2
    Kernel hacker
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Farncombe, Surrey, England
    Posts
    15,677
    Visual Studio "C++" supports C as well as C++ (just call the file "xx.c" instead of the "xx.cpp" and it will compile as C-code). There are also versions of gcc that compile for Windows target - gcc-mingw being the most frequently used one since it uses the MS provided C runtime library so you don't need a separate runtime library.

    For Visual C++, if you give the option /Za to the compiler, it will compile as STANDARD C (or C++) rather than allowing MS specific extensions.

    --
    Mats
    Compilers can produce warnings - make the compiler programmers happy: Use them!
    Please don't PM me for help - and no, I don't do help over instant messengers.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3
    Is Visual Studio C++ usable on a 64-bit processor?

  4. #4
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3
    Is google runnable on a 64-bit platform?
    Thanks for all the help.

    Does anyone know if Visual Studio Express supports OpenGL?

  6. #6
    Kernel hacker
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Farncombe, Surrey, England
    Posts
    15,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd__Magnet View Post
    Is google runnable on a 64-bit platform?
    Thanks for all the help.

    Does anyone know if Visual Studio Express supports OpenGL?
    I don't know if Google itself runs on 32 or 64-bit machines, but you can certainly use a 32-bit web-browser on a 64-bit Windows or Linux (at the very least in x86-64 and normal distributions of the OS's), so going to www.google.com (or .co.uk, .se, .za or whatever country you like to search in/from) would work fine.

    I don't see why Visual Studio would be causing problems with OpenGL. The only known issue with Visual Studio Express is that it's not got the Resource Compiler (and/or editor?), so you want to do advanced windows programs, you have to find another resource compiler or pay for one of the Visual Studio "pay for" versions.

    --
    Mats
    Compilers can produce warnings - make the compiler programmers happy: Use them!
    Please don't PM me for help - and no, I don't do help over instant messengers.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. A few questions about 64 bit and Windows...
    By yaya in forum Tech Board
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-28-2008, 08:49 AM
  2. binary numbers
    By watshamacalit in forum C Programming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-14-2003, 10:06 PM
  3. 64 bit variables
    By Yawgmoth in forum C Programming
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-19-2002, 12:55 PM
  4. 64 bit
    By stormbringer in forum C Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-29-2002, 05:51 PM
  5. Array of boolean
    By DMaxJ in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-25-2001, 11:45 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21