War and peace in paradise

This is a discussion on War and peace in paradise within the A Brief History of Cprogramming.com forums, part of the Community Boards category; Peace Nobel Prize winner and President of East Timor was just shot by a small rebel force lead by the ...

  1. #1
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,535

    War and peace in paradise

    Peace Nobel Prize winner and President of East Timor was just shot by a small rebel force lead by the rebel leader Alfredo Reinado. Reinado was killed by the presidencial guard.

    The information so far is that the President is only injured and there is the possibility he is evacuated to Australia.

    I'm hoping he lives and this means the end of East Timor suffering. Reinado was reportedly alone in his struggle. More a bandit to me than a true rebel, he will not be missed. I believe peace may finally reach this beautiful country.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  2. #2
    Malum in se abachler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,189
    If he was alone in his struggle, then the article would have read 'Lone Gunman' not 'Small Rebel Force'. The fallacy of oppression applies here. But then im not a polisci major so what do I know.
    Until you can build a working general purpose reprogrammable computer out of basic components from radio shack, you are not fit to call yourself a programmer in my presence. This is cwhizard, signing off.

  3. #3
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,535
    He was alone in the sense there were not any other rebel forces operating in east-timor, they had no external support or sympathy (not even by Indonesia) and the rebel group was really just a small force of 50 - 100 men.

    And yet, he did manage to create a lot of confusion in this newly born country. He was a bandit as far as I see it. Nothing more. He had no claims, no agenda, no real political differences.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  4. #4
    Malum in se abachler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,189
    At least none that was reported. Be very careful when makign assumptions when your only source of information is the media. They traditionally get only one side of the story half right.
    Until you can build a working general purpose reprogrammable computer out of basic components from radio shack, you are not fit to call yourself a programmer in my presence. This is cwhizard, signing off.

  5. #5
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,535
    Hmm... I know a little more than you think. East-Timor was a former Portuguese colony. News about East-Timor over here are treated with a lot more depth, followed by debates on TV and opinion articles on newspapers. There are books too and news magazines often cover in-depth analysis over the situation there.

    I, personally have been there three times already after the independence. On all ocasions while living in Australia which also gives much coverage over anything happening in East-Timor.

    I happen to know what I'm talking about.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  6. #6
    Malum in se abachler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,189
    AH, then you know his reasons for doing it. Everyone has a reason for doing everything, it may not be a good reason, or one you agree with, but there is a reason. Just visiting the country does not give you some special insight into its political process, nor does having access to more than one media type change the fact that it is still inherently 'the media'. Particularly in this day and age when most newspapers and tv all get their info from the same AP sources anyway. 2 stations and a newspaper that rewrote an aritcle from teh same journalist, doesnt make it 3 independant news sources. So please, awe me with your in depth research by explaining his motivations to some degree better than ' he was nothign but a bandit'.
    Until you can build a working general purpose reprogrammable computer out of basic components from radio shack, you are not fit to call yourself a programmer in my presence. This is cwhizard, signing off.

  7. #7
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,535
    Quote Originally Posted by abachler View Post
    So please, awe me with your in depth research by explaining his motivations to some degree better than ' he was nothign but a bandit'.
    What da!?

    Why on earth do you think I owe you some kind of explanation? If you don't trust what I said so far, do your own research before judging mer for a gullible fool who trusts anything he listens in the news.

    The gall...
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  8. #8
    Malum in se abachler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario F. View Post
    What da!?

    Why on earth do you think I owe you some kind of explanation? If you don't trust what I said so far, do your own research before judging mer for a gullible fool who trusts anything he listens in the news.

    The gall...
    You made outrageous claims that you couldnt back up, all im asking is for some reasonable explanation as to what facts you based these claims on.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mario F. View Post
    Reinado was reportedly alone in his struggle. More a bandit to me than a true rebel, he will not be missed.
    Rather harsh words for someone without all the facts.
    Last edited by abachler; 02-11-2008 at 05:05 PM.
    Until you can build a working general purpose reprogrammable computer out of basic components from radio shack, you are not fit to call yourself a programmer in my presence. This is cwhizard, signing off.

  9. #9
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,535
    Quote Originally Posted by abachler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario F.
    Reinado was reportedly alone in his struggle. More a bandit to me than a true rebel, he will not be missed.
    Rather harsh words for someone without all the facts.
    You insist I don't have all the facts. I'll entertain you for a little more by asking you exactly what you think I know, so that you can claim I don't know all the relevant facts.

    As for the harsh words... the rebel group in question attempted against the majority elected President and Prime-minister lives of a democratic country in the same night in the form of a drive-by-shooting. Tell me, ablacher, you want me to feel sorry for these people? Forget it.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  10. #10
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,535
    And don't worry, I'll tell you what I know after you telling me why are you calling me a liar
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  11. #11
    Malum in se abachler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario F. View Post
    And don't worry, I'll tell you what I know after you telling me why are you calling me a liar
    Well, I was hoping you would get there on your own, but OK. The reason I find your rant to be shallow and lacking in substance is you took a single source of information and assumed it was the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, when in fact it is not.

    Nowhere in your post did you make any mention of the Timor Raya movement.
    Until you can build a working general purpose reprogrammable computer out of basic components from radio shack, you are not fit to call yourself a programmer in my presence. This is cwhizard, signing off.

  12. #12
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,535
    Quote Originally Posted by abachler View Post
    Well, I was hoping you would get there on your own, but OK. The reason I find your rant to be shallow and lacking in substance is you took a single source of information and assumed it was the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, when in fact it is not.

    Nowhere in your post did you make any mention of the Timor Raya movement.
    Abachler, congratulations. You succeeded in annoying me.

    I don't have to justify my rants to you or anyone. But you did manage to turn my "opinion post" into one of the most ridiculous debates I've been for a long time. It is no surprise your attitude, considering your offensive reply to me on the RAR thread. What you offered me on this thread is consequently just an extension of what you said there.

    And here, just like in there, you seem to be the only one who doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. I suggest perhaps you stick to what you know. It's good advice, trust me. I did the same mistake before. Some people in the forums can confirm that. What I didn't do was attack other people character in the process.

    And because you are being annoying (and I dislike being annoyed), I'll go a little further:

    You make the mistake of assuming too much. You assume I know little, you assume I'm ranting, you assume I'm a gullible fool towards what I hear in the news, and clearly you assume I'm stupid.

    You are wrong on all accounts, son. I know a lot more than you think. And I have very good reasons to. First because my country was a colonial power of East Timor, second because I am part of the generation that held manifestations to force the Portuguese government to defend East Timor independence after the Santa Cruz Massacre (bet you'll have to go to google to see what it is), and third because it just so happens, I love the country, the people and its history.

    In fact, because you mentioned the Raya Movement I hereby declare your total ignorance on this subject. (btw, the underlines are here also because you annoyed me)

    The Raya movement has nothing to do with Alfredo Reinado. He completely despised the concept of a unified Great Timor. He was a soldier that fought for the independece of East Timor along with others like, Xanana Gusmao. He was a bandit alright (for other erasons I'll describe shortly), but one has to give him that; he was one of East Timor heroes. He despise anything less than a free and independent East Timor. Don't be ridiculous and bring the Raya Movement into this!

    In East Timor, the Raya Movement is seen as a threat, but it is a foreign threat. There aren't yet any reported organized rebel groups inside East Timor actively defending the Great Timor. There are some disgruntled that see that as a solution to
    the current problems of lack of jobs and general poverty. But no organized groups one can classify as rebel activity.

    As for Reinado. Yes, I say at the top of my lounges he was a bandit. I don't want to extend this post much further. Frankly, you should instead have deserved my complete indiference. But you attacked my character. Because of that read this carefully http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfredo_Reinhado, and to that I add the fact Alfredo Reinado enjoyed for too much time the friendship he had with men like Alkatiri, Xanana Gusmao and Ramos Horta who remembered his actions in the mountains and remembered he too was a hero of the independence. Because of this the manhunt on him by the Portuguese and Australian forces was called off on two occasions by Ramos Horta hoping he would listen to reason and face trial.

    What motivated Reinado was money, power and the fact he was a disgruntled soldier that saw his major post being withered down until he was completely removed from the armed forces. This happened because between assaulting a police officer, engaging himself with female soldiers, stealing weapos and rebelling against low wages, this bandit tried it all.

    On the 11th of this month his group tried to decapitate the young democracy in East Timor, by attempting against the lives of the President and Prime Minister. They did this in the form of a drive by shooting. They are scum. No different from petty terrorists.

    By the way, do you know why they are called rebels? Because they were in fact rebels. They were even when Reinado used to fight against them. When he left the armed forces, he joined them in the mountains and became one of his leaders. He didn't create the rebel movement. He didn't even share their motivations. Any analyst will tell you Reinado was considered a man with little principles, motivated only by power and his disgruntness at how "unfairly" he was treated after the independence.

    I'm done with you, in the mean time. Go get yourself some books on East Timor and stop pestering me. Try to learn something instead. I advise:

    East Timor: Beyond Independence, Michael Leach and Damien Kingsbury

    The Crisis in Timor-Leste, Dennis Shoesmith
    Last edited by Mario F.; 02-12-2008 at 10:15 AM.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  13. #13
    Malum in se abachler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,189
    I must have struck a nerve
    Until you can build a working general purpose reprogrammable computer out of basic components from radio shack, you are not fit to call yourself a programmer in my presence. This is cwhizard, signing off.

  14. #14
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,535
    Yes, you have. And apparently you did it for no other reason than to simply do it, since you obviously have nothing else to add.

    As such you wasted my time too. You can say you hit two nerves and you'll be right.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. "iraq war- the unspoken truth"
    By Commander in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 02-25-2003, 11:54 PM
  2. What is your opinoin of the War on Terrorism?
    By correlcj in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 10-14-2002, 09:43 PM
  3. What do you think about the War on Terrorism?
    By correlcj in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-11-2002, 01:43 PM
  4. Religious Bull****
    By Witch_King in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 119
    Last Post: 10-23-2001, 08:14 AM
  5. Why do countries go to war?
    By DavidP in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-11-2001, 10:32 AM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21