Gender and Language

This is a discussion on Gender and Language within the A Brief History of Cprogramming.com forums, part of the Community Boards category; Originally Posted by Yarin Religion is the backbone of everyone's opinion, and cannot be called crap. No, but but forcing ...

  1. #76
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,411
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarin View Post
    Religion is the backbone of everyone's opinion, and cannot be called crap.
    No, but but forcing your religious beliefs upon someone else is.

    Quote Originally Posted by citizen View Post
    However, Elysia is both unwilling to look at things from another point of view on this particular issue and very much addressing the wrong crowd. We should have stopped talking about this a while ago.
    This isn't about convincing each other that one way is right or wrong. It's a discussion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yarin View Post
    Well, I brought up the wrong point, I really think male should be default because of tradition, not just religion.
    And I don't see how it's intellectually bankrupt. Please enlighten me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo1 View Post
    I agree with this though, it's called MANkind because that's the way it has always been, it has nothing to do with sexism or anything like that...
    The problem to me seems that because it's been default for so long, you see no need to change it. So why should exactly males be default? What's the point?
    Tradition has it that male is default because women were considered lower beings than men, which obviously we will all agree now is wrong.
    It just seems to me you are unwilling to change to a new view in a new century which is much different from when tradition was made?
    Is it so, or am I completely off track?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wraithan View Post
    ...So you say you don't want to offend people by using the wrong gender in online discussion where it isn't commonly seen as a big deal. Then you take something that is close to peoples hearts and say it is crap?

    Neo1, yeah, I have heard that song too, and heard that before, Religion is the opium of the people, but even those who 'aren't religious' are religious about being non-religious and might as well be just another faction on the deity battlefield.
    No, I take offense at defending the use of "he" as neutrality based on some fictious facts of religion. Yes, I will admit I'm am atheist, and therefore I take big offense at people saying "males were created before females" or "male should be default because they were created first" or "because god is a he" or the like.
    I can accept good arguments, but never from religion. That's because you can't force a religious belief onto someone else. Religion is not facts. There is no evidence. And as such I cannot accept it a good argument.
    And that is all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  2. #77
    The superhaterodyne twomers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    2,262
    Aren't you the person who decided references are worthless? Hmm.

  3. #78
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,411
    Oh, I can see where this is going.
    But I don't remember deciding references are worthless. Indulge me, if you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  4. #79
    Internet Superhero
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    964
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraithan View Post
    Neo1, yeah, I have heard that song too, and heard that before, Religion is the opium of the people, but even those who 'aren't religious' are religious about being non-religious and might as well be just another faction on the deity battlefield.
    It's not a song, it's a quote from a german philosopher. But nonetheless, whether or not you choose to call atheism a religion, it doesn't change the fact that very few people use their religious beliefs as a backbone for their opinions, if that was the case then the world would be a better place to live...

    And that they mean no offence by it, so there should be none taken because it is a simple language trait of English and it isn't meant to insult people but rather to simplify communication.
    I agree wholeheartedly with this...
    How I need a drink, alcoholic in nature, after the heavy lectures involving quantum mechanics.

  5. #80
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,403
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    No, but but forcing your religious beliefs upon someone else is.
    You too are trying to force your beliefs on others. Don't sidestep.


    Religion is not facts. There is no evidence. And as such I cannot accept it a good argument.
    I couldn't agree more with you in principle. However when in the context of this thread, you are quiet wrong as religion has only recently lose its hold on the western society. Until then it has profoundly shaped our lives, our culture and our history.

    ...

    You seem to be jumping from bad argument to bad argument, trying to get a hold on something and always losing your grip. What I didn't hear you saying - and probably never will - is what would end this debate in a way that wouldn't diminish you in any way. And that is:

    "Yeah. You people are probably right. Having a new word for that was a pretty dumb idea."

    The fact that on this, or on any other debate I've seen you as the central piece, you were never able to come up with this words is a testimony to your character.
    The programmer’s wife tells him: “Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen.”
    The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.


    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  6. #81
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,411
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario F. View Post
    You too are trying to force your beliefs on others. Don't sidestep.
    No, what's the point? Neither side will listen.
    "Yeah. You people are probably right. Having a new word for that was a pretty dumb idea."

    The fact that on this, or on any other debate I've seen you as the central piece, you were never able to come up with this words is a testimony to your character.
    Am I supposed to lie then? To tell lies to end an argument? No, that's even worse. Better to quietly ignore or give up argument.

    And this clearly isn't getting anywhere and when people start blaming each other and posts such as yours shows up, things heat up and I'm getting out of the argument now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  7. #82
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    835
    > "Yeah. You people are probably right. Having a new word for that was a pretty dumb idea."

    Having a gender-neutral pronoun is not a dumb idea, English would be a (slightly) better language if it had one. How important it is, and how practical it is to expect the language to change in the near future is another matter.

  8. #83
    Unregistered User Yarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,591
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia
    The problem to me seems that because it's been default for so long, you see no need to change it. So why should exactly males be default? What's the point?
    Tradition has it that male is default because women were considered lower beings than men, which obviously we will all agree now is wrong.
    It just seems to me you are unwilling to change to a new view in a new century which is much different from when tradition was made?
    Is it so, or am I completely off track?
    You said yourself that no one thinks the man is "better" or "a higher being" than the woman anymore. So what's the big deal? It's not personal Elysia, it's DEFAULT and it's worked for years. Changing it would only be a hassle.

    What new gender-neutral word did you have in mind anyway?
    A class that doesn't overload all operators just isn't finished yet. -- SmugCeePlusPlusWeenie
    A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe in God. -- Alan J. Perlis

  9. #84
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    2,129
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    On the contrary I say. You have a right to be wanted to be called a specific gender and not liking to be called simply "he" doesn't mean you don't pass the test to be on the Internet. That's ... isn't that discrimination?
    No, I don't think so. Using he in a gender neutral way has no effect other than said; it's not like somebody actually has some sort of outcome that is different than would be otherwise.
    I respond at your ideals because I challenge them. I believe in full use of gender neutrality and not pseudo-neutral "he."
    yeah I know I was jj.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario F. View Post
    The reason there is no need for a new word in the English vocabulary to deal with this issue is because there is no such new word in the English vocabulary.

    Words in any language in the world are introduced by necessity and popularity. If there is the need for a new word, that word somehow becomes part of the popular vocabulary and when noticed and observed to be prevalent, it is added to the official language.
    Exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraithan View Post
    Elysia, you are how old, 15?16? at least that is what your arguments seem.
    I so hate it when people assign intelligence to age.
    In the end lets look at it this way, you all have your believes and recognize that other peoples believes exists, so one could figure that calling someone a pronoun that isn't the proper gender could just be someone who says he all the time unless they know for a fact it is a she. And that they mean no offence by it, so there should be none taken because it is a simple language trait of English and it isn't meant to insult people but rather to simplify communication.
    Exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    Tradition has it that male is default because women were considered lower beings than men, which obviously we will all agree now is wrong.
    It just seems to me you are unwilling to change to a new view in a new century which is much different from when tradition was made?
    Is it so, or am I completely off track?
    How do you know that is the reason?

    Perhaps there just weren't women in job positions because they were busy at the home taking care of things because when to choose whether a man or woman to take care of family, the woman was chosen based on basic mammillian proximity requirements. Perhaps they got typecast into this role. [edit]I say this on the assumption that language would evolve more rapidly/stably in group settings.[/edit]

    Not to say that that actually happened, although I think it was more likely.

    Regardless, it's irrelevant because that is not the case now.

    So what is the problem with having one word mean two similar things?
    Last edited by robwhit; 02-09-2008 at 11:49 AM.

  10. #85
    Unregistered User Yarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,591
    Let me ask this. Why are you offended by this when you know it's not meant in any negetive way towards you or your gender?
    A class that doesn't overload all operators just isn't finished yet. -- SmugCeePlusPlusWeenie
    A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe in God. -- Alan J. Perlis

  11. #86
    C++ Witch laserlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    21,310
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    imho though, master is gender-inspecific.
    I agree.
    Are you aware that "master" also refers to the male head of a household, a male teacher, and as a term of address to (typically young) men and boys? "Master" ia an inherently gender-specific word when used in those contexts, just as "he" is an inherently gender-specific word when used in similiar contexts.

    In other contexts "master" is gender neutral, just as "he" is gender neutral.

    If you want to bring up political correctness, then "master" is also politically incorrect. I have a cousin who once complained to me when I called her a master of something she was good at. Oh yes, she was "wrong" to think "master" was gender-specific in that context, but then to be politically correct and not offend anyone...
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Version Control System: Bazaar

    Look up a C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  12. #87
    Reverse Engineer maxorator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    2,318
    And my elephant is blue.

    Seriously, this is getting odd. After all, it's not about religion, traditions, history nor politics. It's about what would be the most suitable word to use. And that depends ONLY on what people think about it. No matter how you try to make it politically correct, it won't help.

    Once an Estonian parliament member called someone a retard publicly. Then, instead of apologizing, he explained that the word retard actually doesn't mean anything bad! Do you think he got away with that? No way. All three main TV channels wouldn't give him a break till he publicly apologized.

    So no matter how much you say that the word he is neutral, if people don't like it, you should use something else, like (s)he or whatever else seems to fit.
    "The Internet treats censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

  13. #88
    C++ Witch laserlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    21,310
    It's about what would be the most suitable word to use. And that depends ONLY on what people think about it.
    That is correct. So we can choose appropriately depending on the audience, but with this medium we can also correct the misconception of our audience.

    Once an Estonian parliament member called someone a retard publicly. Then, instead of apologizing, he explained that the word retard actually doesn't mean anything bad! Do you think he got away with that? No way. All three main TV channels wouldn't give him a break till he publicly apologized.
    You must have missed my post where I pointed out that the situation for someone providing help on an online forum and that of a politician is different.

    For the former, clarity, correctness and a sufficient level of politeness is sufficient. For the latter, more care must be taken to avoid sensitive areas (and that really is what is meant by being "politically correct"). Part of this is due to a power imbalance: someone providing help for free is in a position of "power" - if you do not like my help, you are free to ignore it, I do not really lose anything if you do not take my advice. A politician is not in a position of power, at least when the media and other forces can exert pressure, or the people can choose to elect someone else.

    So no matter how much you say that the word he is neutral, if people don't like it, you should use something else, like (s)he or whatever else seems to fit.
    In a face to face situation, of course that is the case. Typically, unless you are an English teacher or an editor, you would not bother with correcting a misconception concerning language (and indeed you may not be in a position to do so).
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Version Control System: Bazaar

    Look up a C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  14. #89
    Malum in se abachler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,189
    Quote Originally Posted by robatino View Post
    > "Yeah. You people are probably right. Having a new word for that was a pretty dumb idea."

    Having a gender-neutral pronoun is not a dumb idea, English would be a (slightly) better language if it had one. How important it is, and how practical it is to expect the language to change in the near future is another matter.
    We already have this pronoun. It. But of course you knew this, since you used it several times in you appeal for a word with the same meaning as it.
    Until you can build a working general purpose reprogrammable computer out of basic components from radio shack, you are not fit to call yourself a programmer in my presence. This is cwhizard, signing off.

  15. #90
    The larch
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,573
    We already have this pronoun. It. But of course you knew this, since you used it several times in you appeal for a word with the same meaning as it.
    How about sh-it? Combines "he", "she" and "it"...
    I might be wrong.

    Thank you, anon. You sure know how to recognize different types of trees from quite a long way away.
    Quoted more than 1000 times (I hope).

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. 100000 women
    By Snafuist in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 05-27-2009, 07:41 AM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21