View Poll Results: How do you indicate edits in your posts?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • [edit] text [/edit]

    5 20.00%
  • Some consistent style, like EDIT: text

    13 52.00%
  • Inconsistently, but edits are typically indicated.

    2 8.00%
  • I just add the text in, without any annotations.

    3 12.00%
  • It varies.

    2 8.00%
  • I don't edit my posts.

    0 0%

[edit] Edit tags? [/edit]

This is a discussion on [edit] Edit tags? [/edit] within the A Brief History of Cprogramming.com forums, part of the Community Boards category; Originally Posted by QuestionC Edits should be used for small typographical correction, and nothing more. Trying to edit a forum ...

  1. #16
    For Narnia! Sentral's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Narnia
    Posts
    719
    Quote Originally Posted by QuestionC View Post
    Edits should be used for small typographical correction, and nothing more. Trying to edit a forum post is like trying to rewrite an email that was already responded to.

    People replying to your post depend on the assumption that the meaning of your post will not change while they are posting.
    People reading the thread rely on the assumption that the posts occur in chronological order, and that they are replying to each other in that order.
    People checking replies on a thread rely on the assumption that new information appears at the bottom.

    Consider posts where someone asks for code, and posts their source.
    The next person replies by pointing out a problem.
    The original uses edit to partly fixes his code. And asks about a new problem in it.

    Now the second post has lost its context, and is meaningless. You might as well delete all posts in a thread that occur after an edit like that.

    I use the edit feature, but I really think it shouldn't be there at all.
    Yup! I think there should be some type of notification, telling you someone has edited a post. Like when you go into a thread in which you posted previously, and if someone has made an edit, a dialog box should pop up saying "Blah has changed his previous post". Atleast, something! However, this seems to be a problem with all forums not just vBulletin.
    Videogame Memories!
    A site dedicated to keeping videogame memories alive!

    http://www.videogamememories.com/
    Share your experiences with us now!

    "We will game forever!"

  2. #17
    Mayor of Awesometown Govtcheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    8,825
    Quote Originally Posted by QuestionC View Post
    I use the edit feature, but I really think it shouldn't be there at all.
    Can you imagine what would happen if we didn't, though?

  3. #18
    Mayor of Awesometown Govtcheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    8,825
    I mean people would be posting everytime they wanted to add something they forgot

  4. #19
    Mayor of Awesometown Govtcheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    8,825
    And then you'll have people who can't rub two brain cells together (queatrix) spamming the hell out of threads

  5. #20
    Mayor of Awesometown Govtcheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    8,825
    And then somoeone would misspell something

  6. #21
    Mayor of Awesometown Govtcheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    8,825
    And say "my bad I spelled 'someone' wrong, sorry"

  7. #22
    Mayor of Awesometown Govtcheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    8,825
    So in conclusion I disagree with your idea.

  8. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    2,129
    I think the current way of doing things is just fine, but hey, forums are a strongly-typed language, right? If edit tags can add a bit more clarity and structure to the board, then why not add them?

  9. #24
    carry on JaWiB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,972
    Quote Originally Posted by Govtcheez View Post
    So in conclusion I disagree with your idea.
    Memories of TK

    It would be nice if the forum notified you if someone replied while you were editing a post or replying to a post. I usually only edit my posts if I'm the last post and it hasn't been very long since I posted. Otherwise, I'd worry about people not noticing the edit.
    "Think not but that I know these things; or think
    I know them not: not therefore am I short
    Of knowing what I ought."
    -John Milton, Paradise Regained (1671)

    "Work hard and it might happen."
    -XSquared

  10. #25
    Mayor of Awesometown Govtcheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    8,825
    Quote Originally Posted by robwhit View Post
    I think the current way of doing things is just fine, but hey, forums are a strongly-typed language, right? If edit tags can add a bit more clarity and structure to the board, then why not add them?
    The hell have you been for the last 5 1/2 years?

    > It would be nice if the forum notified you if someone replied while you were editing a post or replying to a post

    I'd be pretty surprised if there wasn't a vB plugin that did this. SMF does it, I know that much.

  11. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    2,129
    Quote Originally Posted by Govtcheez View Post
    The hell have you been for the last 5 1/2 years?
    haha! I thought no one would notice. Or did you just look at my join date?

    I was having symptoms of creative starvation so I decided to stop doing programming stuff for a while.

  12. #27
    Registered User axon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Mt. Prospect, IL
    Posts
    2,572
    i either do the edit tags or type edit: - meh

    however, I think this board has a time limit for edits...and if you are adding anything other than trivial info (spelling, typos, etc) you should indicate an edit done. With the amount of people we have here your post could have been read a 100 times before you edit it. If it is a hot topic I would just make another reply indicating the edit.

    some entropy with that sink? entropysink.com

    there are two cardinal sins from which all others spring: Impatience and Laziness. - franz kafka

  13. #28
    Mayor of Awesometown Govtcheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    8,825
    Quote Originally Posted by robwhit View Post
    haha! I thought no one would notice. Or did you just look at my join date?
    No, I remember you. I've seen you hanging out in the "members online" directory but hadn't seen you post until now. Looks like you've been busy since you've been back, though

  14. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    2,129
    Quote Originally Posted by Govtcheez View Post
    Looks like you've been busy since you've been back, though
    yup, frost pist in the gd.
    btw, it's good to see you're still around too.

  15. #30
    Mayor of Awesometown Govtcheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    8,825
    I haven't written any C in a few years, honestly. I just stick around for GD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. How can I send a text string to an edit control
    By marc74 in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-06-2005, 09:14 PM
  2. setting fixed floats in edit box
    By WaterNut in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-13-2004, 09:13 AM
  3. Rich edit
    By Garfield in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-10-2002, 04:08 PM
  4. Edit Control problem
    By Malek in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-16-2002, 01:12 AM
  5. Controlling an edit control
    By master5001 in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-16-2001, 03:08 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21