Interesting innovation from MS

This is a discussion on Interesting innovation from MS within the A Brief History of Cprogramming.com forums, part of the Community Boards category; http://www.microsoft.com/surface/ http://on10.net/blogs/larry/first-lo...ing-computing/ Haven't you seen this already? Maybe I'm a little bit slow - but I got these links on;y ...

  1. #1
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484

    Interesting innovation from MS

    http://www.microsoft.com/surface/
    http://on10.net/blogs/larry/first-lo...ing-computing/

    Haven't you seen this already? Maybe I'm a little bit slow - but I got these links on;y today... Amaizing...

    But still I cannot think about working on computer without using keyboard... Hopefully they will provide some virtual keyboard analog...
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  2. #2
    The Right Honourable psychopath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where circles begin.
    Posts
    1,070
    I think I saw this on TV a little while ago. Didn't know it was from Microsoft though.

    AFAIK, there's a virtual keyboard as well (assuming this is in fact the same as what I saw on TV).
    Memorial University of Newfoundland
    Computer Science

    Mac and OpenGL evangelist.

  3. #3
    Registered /usr
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Newport, South Wales, UK
    Posts
    1,266
    I don't think this is a catch-all somehow. Graphic designers will be fawning all over it (especially if it has Mac drivers!), maybe even those fancy peeps in CSI, but I doubt anyone else can jusitfy the cost of a 30-inch slab.

  4. #4
    Ethernal Noob
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    1,901
    They also are backing this tech to stream HD content quickly, I forgot the name of it. No one's been talking about it though.

  5. #5
    The Right Honourable psychopath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where circles begin.
    Posts
    1,070
    Mac drivers? I'm not sure this is just a fancy touch screen. I'm pretty sure this is it's own computer with its own OS.
    Memorial University of Newfoundland
    Computer Science

    Mac and OpenGL evangelist.

  6. #6
    Just Lurking Dave_Sinkula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    5,006
    I'm having a hard time parsing the title:
    Interesting/innovation/MS
    7. It is easier to write an incorrect program than understand a correct one.
    40. There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.*

  7. #7
    Registered Abuser
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    591
    Haven't you heard? They've started making vacuum cleaners.

  8. #8
    Math wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    582
    I saw that on CNN Headline News. The price: $10K. Wanna exchange the purchasing of a good-quality used car for that thing? Just watch - 5 years from now, it'll be much more common and cost a more middle-class-friendly amount and even later, if it survives the test of time, even be placed on walls and things for dynamic "paint" color or scenes.
    High elevation is the best elevation. The higher, the better the view!
    My computer: XP Pro SP3, 3.4 GHz i7-2600K CPU (OC'd to 4 GHz), 4 GB DDR3 RAM, X-Fi Platinum sound, GeForce 460, 1920x1440 resolution, 1250 GB HDD space, Visual C++ 2008 Express

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    267
    doesn't that thing use cameras to detect movements on the surface?

    OS: Windows 7, XUbuntu 11.10, Arch Linux
    IDE: CodeBlocks
    Compiler: GCC

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    465
    O_O
    That's pretty crazy. I'm sure it will be really cool. Something I wondered about the video is how would you make special notes on the food for the restaurant or keep people from spamming the queue of the song player. Not really problems with the technology just the applications. The video puzzle....if you were to take more than one tile off at a time how can it tell which is which when you put it back on? Assuming that they are identical tiles. Howee it uses variations in infrared light through a diffuser. Watch the video.
    My computer is awesome.

  11. #11
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Sinkula View Post
    I'm having a hard time parsing the title:
    Interesting/innovation/MS
    Yeah? What's wrong with it?
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  12. #12
    Registered User Queatrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,342
    Woa, that's pretty cool.

  13. #13
    Registered User Queatrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,342
    >> doesn't that thing use cameras to detect movements on the surface?

    It's probably an infrared detection grid.

  14. #14
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    Quote Originally Posted by Queatrix View Post
    >> doesn't that thing use cameras to detect movements on the surface?

    It's probably an infrared detection grid.
    Haven't understand it fully - But the guy talked about cameras under surface... If they would be infra red - could they react to the glass that is of the same temperature as the surface?
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  15. #15
    l'Anziano DavidP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Plano, Texas, United States
    Posts
    2,738
    Wow that looks really cool. We will get to see how the first attempt at this plays out...and how it will eventually affect us down the road.
    My Website

    "Circular logic is good because it is."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Speed test result
    By audinue in forum C Programming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-07-2008, 06:18 AM
  2. Heapsort
    By xENGINEERx in forum C Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-30-2008, 08:17 PM
  3. Generic heapsort
    By Sephiroth1109 in forum C Programming
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-07-2007, 06:14 PM
  4. Ping
    By ZakkWylde969 in forum Tech Board
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-23-2003, 01:28 PM
  5. The Timing is incorret
    By Drew in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-28-2003, 05:57 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21