General forum question - if in wrong forum...

This is a discussion on General forum question - if in wrong forum... within the A Brief History of Cprogramming.com forums, part of the Community Boards category; Instead of PMing or Emailing the mods/admins, can we call them at their home, place of work, or on their ...

  1. #16
    Deathray Engineer MacGyver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,211
    Instead of PMing or Emailing the mods/admins, can we call them at their home, place of work, or on their cell phones to report abuses? I could just picture how this could work out......

    "Dave, there's this guy in General, and he's MISPRONOUNCING YOUR LAST NAME!!!!"

    "Salem, there's a guy in the C programming forums and he won't stop posting code with gets(). Get on the forums now and MAKE HIM STOP!"

    Now, THAT would be fun.

  2. #17
    The superhaterodyne twomers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    2,262
    Heh. It would be fun if we had a direct line to Quzah on a bad day I seem to remember someone suggesting that before ... Am I making that up?

  3. #18
    Registered User whiteflags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7,667
    Well I think what everyone's been trying to say is that, as a group, we really like cboard the way it is.

    I will admit that your color contrast suggestion was better compared to what you've talked about lately. More recently, it's been suggested that cboard adopt a color pallete for syntax highlighting. Color is one of the things that the board has a history of discussing, but it generally decides that the complete spectrum has an equal opportunity to be used. You're free to participate in the syntax highlighting debate next time it comes up provided that you can explain why it should matter to us.

    Suggestions have their time and place of course but they are often presented with grace: it's explained what would be done, doesn't require a lot of work (webmaster is probably the only one around who messes with the sites PHP - don't get too close to bare bones), and explains how it would improve the community. And the good improvements, ones worth doing, weren't suggested every week, and normally not by one person. The board is really democratic: It's generally a community effort that makes the forum keep going. The forum leaders tend to humble themselves ad populum.

    So basically, you need to pick what you're going to fight about. You're going to have a tough time selling us on things that we understand differently than you. All the reasons that you find animated gifs distracting may be valid, but you're lacking a rationale that works from our point of view: that we only see a few avatars per page and the ones that are animated aren't big enough to be distracting or cause slow load times. We don't understand why further restrictions matter.

    Usually, if something is wrong with the board it becomes apparent all by itself. The last change that was met with any success was the implementation of forced code tags. Moderators and long-time users concurred that it was a pain to read code that didn't preserve its indentation. Moderators also hated the fact that they were stuck wrapping code tags around posts, distracting them from the more important things that they should be doing like reading threads for the problems you mention. Those are the kinds of suggestions that work.

  4. #19
    Mayor of Awesometown Govtcheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    8,825
    > Instead of PMing or Emailing the mods/admins, can we call them at their home, place of work, or on their cell phones to report abuses?

    I called the webmaster one time - I think I scared the hell out of him

  5. #20
    The superhaterodyne twomers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    2,262
    >> I called the webmaster one time - I think I scared the hell out of him

    I think I've heard that before, didn't remember it was you. Is it actually true? I thought you were joshing before. Heh. You tell him about people posting on the wrong forums? Did you plan to call him?

  6. #21
    Mayor of Awesometown Govtcheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    8,825
    No, I really did. There were a bunch of people spamming the crap out of the forums (pretty much the worst I had ever seen) and I couldn't get ahold of kermi on AIM so I called alex

  7. #22
    The superhaterodyne twomers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    2,262
    And you just happened to have his number? You've gotta give us a run down of the conversation!

    G: Hello, Alex?
    A: Yes, to whom am i speaking? // I always imagined him with a British accent.
    G: /* Fill in */

  8. #23
    C++ Witch laserlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    21,650
    And you just happened to have his number?
    A whois search, perhaps? Though the number listed on the admin contact is for someone named Lynn with the same surname as Alex... wife/mother/daughter/sister? I might just call to wish her happy mothers day
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Version Control System: Bazaar

    Look up a C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  9. #24
    Mayor of Awesometown Govtcheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    8,825
    > And you just happened to have his number?

    It's not that hard to look up someone's phone number

    > I always imagined him with a British accent.

    Nah, he's from New Orleans. It did sound like he had a little bit of an accent though.

    > /* Fill in */

    Basically:
    G: Uh, you don't know me but I work for you
    A: ... Govtcheez? (he actually called me that and got it on the first try)
    G: Yeah. Anyways there are a bunch of people spamming the crap out of your boards and here are their IP addresses
    A: OK, I'll deal with it

    That was about it.

  10. #25
    The superhaterodyne twomers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    2,262
    HAHAHAHAHA!!

    To be honest you've freaked me out.

    Never contact me.

    Ever. Even if the boards are getting spammed.

  11. #26
    Mayor of Awesometown Govtcheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    8,825
    Quote Originally Posted by twomers View Post
    HAHAHAHAHA!!

    To be honest you've freaked me out.

    Never contact me.

    Ever. Even if the boards are getting spammed.
    Look out your window

  12. #27
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    Instead of PMing or Emailing the mods/admins, can we call them at their home, place of work, or on their cell phones to report abuses? I could just picture how this could work out......
    We need a button - "Send SMS to the mod..."
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  13. #28
    Woof, woof! zacs7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,459
    Where did Quzah go anyway, his signature is "Delete this account and my posts. Thanks."

    Well I can never tell when he's serious reading his posts... :\

    We need a button - "Send SMS to the mod..."
    Then it'd be a race who could create a bot to send the most SMSs first , At least people would think your popular when you go out in public

  14. #29
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    create a bot to send the most SMSs first
    Does not the ICQ SDK give this possibility?
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-16-2009, 10:37 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-20-2009, 11:11 PM
  3. General question
    By saudi-vip in forum C Programming
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-10-2008, 04:46 PM
  4. Why did I get this question wrong?
    By DISGUISED in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-31-2002, 03:15 PM
  5. General GUI question in C
    By Music_Man in forum Game Programming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-16-2001, 10:45 AM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21