View Poll Results: How do you prononce my handle?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • queetrix

    4 36.36%
  • quwaytrix

    7 63.64%

How would you pronounce...

This is a discussion on How would you pronounce... within the A Brief History of Cprogramming.com forums, part of the Community Boards category; The silly English. In Estonian every letter is always pronounced the same way, so everything can be pronounced and everything ...

  1. #16
    Reverse Engineer maxorator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    2,318
    The silly English.

    In Estonian every letter is always pronounced the same way, so everything can be pronounced and everything has only one way how to pronounce it.
    "The Internet treats censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

  2. #17
    Supermassive black hole cboard_member's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,709
    Quote Originally Posted by Desolation View Post
    Ditto.
    Double ditto.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Sinkula View Post
    Corollary/piggybacking/thread derailment: how do folks mentally pronounce my last name? I've probably heard 'em all, but now I am curious.

    As far as I care, there are two correct answers.
    Sin-kyule-ah
    Good class architecture is not like a Swiss Army Knife; it should be more like a well balanced throwing knife.

    - Mike McShaffry

  3. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    7,317
    Quote Originally Posted by citizen View Post
    It just rolls off my tongue. Sinkula sounds a lot like Dracula to me but sink replaces the first syllable.
    Name:  icon14.gif
Views: 209
Size:  363 Bytes

    Quote Originally Posted by brewbuck View Post
    I'd say, Kway-a-trix.
    Name:  icon14.gif
Views: 209
Size:  363 Bytes

  4. #19
    C++ Witch laserlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    21,602
    Queer-tricks.
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Version Control System: Bazaar

    Look up a C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  5. #20
    Mayor of Awesometown Govtcheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    8,825
    "Dumbass"

  6. #21
    Captain Crash brewbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    7,239
    Quote Originally Posted by ulillillia View Post
    KYOO trihks - that's how I pronounce it. Strange question though, but oh well.
    You're telling people what's "strange?"

  7. #22
    A Banana Yoshi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    857
    Code:
    Kill a Trix
    Yoshi

  8. #23
    Deathray Engineer MacGyver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,211
    Thread hijack: Anybody remember Trix cereal? lol.... Reminds me of it when I see his name and his colorful avatar... lol.
    Last edited by MacGyver; 04-28-2007 at 11:49 AM.

  9. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    7,317
    Doesn't remind me of Trix at all.. the colors are too dark.

    Besides, I've hated Trix since they changed the flavor like ten years ago.

  10. #25
    Just Lurking Dave_Sinkula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    5,006
    Quote Originally Posted by citizen View Post
    It just rolls off my tongue. Sinkula sounds a lot like Dracula to me but sink replaces the first syllable. Quite an interesting name!

    Did that make sense?
    That'd be my first preference. SINK yoo luh.

    As I remember Mom on the phone doing the spelling: "Sink, as in sink or swim; you, the letter u; la, l-a". Or something to that affect. Much, much later relatives told me the "correct" pronunciation is more like "sin KUH luh".

    I just go by "Dave". And if the phone rings and people struggle with my last name, either me or my wife will toy with them like lepers.



    *No lepers were harmed, nor none should be offended, I hope. I'm just lacking polically correct imagination at the moment.
    7. It is easier to write an incorrect program than understand a correct one.
    40. There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.*

  11. #26
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    kveh - triks

    sin - koo - luh

    ( And I'm not sure that my writing represents my spelling correcly... )
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  12. #27
    Captain Crash brewbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    7,239
    Quote Originally Posted by vart View Post
    kveh - triks

    sin - koo - luh

    ( And I'm not sure that my writing represents my spelling correcly... )
    How about you? Is it "Vart," or are we to use the German V, which would make it more like "Fart?"

  13. #28
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    never meet someone using the last one...
    And no, it is not Vart, just vart

    PS. And if you want the german prononsation, it should be like in the "warte" (Ich warte auf dich).
    Last edited by vart; 04-29-2007 at 12:18 AM.
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  14. #29
    Cat without Hat CornedBee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,893
    The German V can be pronounced either way, depending on the word.
    All the buzzt!
    CornedBee

    "There is not now, nor has there ever been, nor will there ever be, any programming language in which it is the least bit difficult to write bad code."
    - Flon's Law

  15. #30
    Registered User Queatrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,342
    Wow, I didn't realize that there where so many different ways of saying my (user)name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Sinkula View Post
    Corollary/piggybacking/thread derailment: how do folks mentally pronounce my last name? I've probably heard 'em all, but now I am curious.
    sin-cool-uh
    Quote Originally Posted by maxorator View Post
    The silly English.
    In Estonian every letter is always pronounced the same way, so everything can be pronounced and everything has only one way how to pronounce it.
    You'r my best friend now.
    Quote Originally Posted by laserlight View Post
    Queer-tricks.
    Now I am really considering getting it changed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Govtcheez View Post
    "Dumbass"
    Butthead.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21